Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jarecsni János <ja...@chello.hu> on 2002/02/13 08:08:30 UTC

Apache and JBoss244+TC402

Hi,

Currently I have a J2EE application installed under the /istore webcontext.
I also set up a virtual host with the following lines in httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost zeus>
    ServerName zeus
    DocumentRoot "f:/JBoss-2.4.4_Tomcat-4.0.2b/jboss/deploy/istore.war"

    <!-- this is not too nice, but needed (so that I can use the same
resource URIs in both the development and the real 	environment which runs
under a virtual host) -->
    Alias /istore "f:/JBoss-2.4.4_Tomcat-4.0.2b/jboss/deploy/istore.war"

    JkMount /istore/control/* ajp13
    JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
</VirtualHost>

Since the virtual host "zeus" is simply a pseudonym for the context
"/istore" I'd like to get rid of the context. So I'd like to access my
application like: http://zeus/control/someFunction (actually a servlet call)
or get a resource like http://zeus/images/someImage.gif (instead of
http://zeus/istore/images/someImage.gif). Or I could follow a naming pattern
like this: context.vhost. Say a webstore would be accessible under
http://www.zeus.com its administration site under http://admin.zeus.com.

The problem is the following: as I see it (AISI :) Tomcat
requires you to pass a context in the request URL. Verz naturally, since it
knows about /istore/control (a servlet) but knows nothing about /control or
control.

I thought of using some RewriteRules on the Apache side, but I'd like to use
the most solid and standard-like solution if any. Maybe using a virtual host
on the Tomcat side too would help here? I confess I'm a bit confused.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

TIA

Jarecsni, János
MORGAN HILL CONSULTING, Internet Applications Unit
mailto:Jarecsni.Janos@morganhillconsulting.hu
http://morganhillconsulting.hu/ :: Phone+Fax: + 36 1 484 0392