Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Phil Wild <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/20 16:38:22 UTC

[users@httpd] reverse proxy based on authentication

Hello apache users,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to do something with apache.

I want to set up an internet facing web site and use the reverse proxy
module to allow authenticated access to an internal web site.

the tricky bit is that depending on the credentials provided by the
authenticating user (say an LDAP group membership), I would want to
take the user to a different internal web site but sort of have it
look the same (from the top level URL anyway)

As an example, we have the site company.com which the user
authenticates into. The authentication is against an ldap back end.
The user clicks on a link intranet.company.com and depending on which
department they come from, they get taken to their specific department
intranet site (say a web site running on 192.168.10.1 for dept A and a
web site running on 192.168.10.2 for dept B). Perhaps a redirection is
somehow involved but I would like to always have the URL's that are
visible by the outside world to not show where they ended up on based
on their group membership.

Is something like this possible? How complex is this (for some one
fairly new to apache)?

Many thanks

Phil