Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by st...@outerthought.org on 2003/03/30 22:00:07 UTC

[WIKI-UPDATE] MigratingFrom2.0.4To2.1dev Sun Mar 30 22:00:02 2003

Page: http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=MigratingFrom2.0.4To2.1dev , version: 1 on Sun Mar 30 19:56:22 2003 by StevenCummings

New page created:
+ If anybody likes, they can write over or modify what I put here. I don't expect this to be definitive or exhaustive, but I thought I'd write about my experiences in migrating a couple of working applications that I have from 2.0.4 to 2.1-dev. Originally, I sought out to create "CreateMinimalWebapp2.1dev", but decided that I should create this instead. If this page gets far enough along, perhaps it will contribute points to that page.
+
+ I did my testing under Tomcat 4.1.24 and Jetty 4.2.9.
+
+ Main Migration Issues:
+ * "sunshine" is now "session"
+ ** {{sunshine-login}} action is now {{auth-login}}
+ ** {{sunshine-logout}} action is now {{auth-logout}}
+ ** {{sunshine-auth}} action is now {{auth-protect}}
+ ** {{sunshine}} transformer is now {{session}}
+ *** The default authenticated context has changed its name as well
+ * Use "{" and "}" for standard input modules
+ ** Specifically, using sunshine under 2.0.X required the prefix of request variables passed to the authentication pipeline with the string {{"prefix:"}}. Now you just have to surround that with braces as in {{"{request:username}"}}. This is basically the standard usage of input modules now.
+ * Classes that have been deprecated and replaced
+ ** {{org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.AbstractLoggable}} is replaced by {{org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.AbstractLogEnabled}}
+ * Roles that have been deprecated and replaced
+ ** {{org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.Parser}} is replaced by {{org.apache.excalibur.xml.sax.SAXParser}}
+ * Cocoon jars to include in your webapp
+ ** Selection of jars from cocoon.war is easier due to blocks
+ ** however, if you exclude a block and it's associated external jars (like the POI block and the jakarta-poi jar), make sure you comment-out or delete any usage of the contained components in cocoon.xconf. I would say these haven't been sufficiently encapsulated yet in the default sample Cocoon webapp. I noticed when the blocks first appeared in the 2.1 checkouts and snapshots that they each had their own {{.xconf}} files. I don't know if this is still the case, but obviously some things should be moved from cocoon.xconf into those.
+ * If you are running Tomcat, you must of course update  your XML jars (xml-apis, xercesImpl, xalan) under $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed (UNIX) or %CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed (Win32).
+
+ Does anybody else have any points to make here? This is really just a very shallow starting point. I welcome all who undertook the 2.0.X to 2.1-dev upgrade process to make notes here and help to build a definitive document. It seems that the structure of cocoon itself and the build process (build.xml) have changed so radically that we should collect these points to help out newer cocoon users who want to give the experimental features a shot.
+