Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/28 05:53:47 UTC

abandon 1394 DV support

Hi all,

I found that the libdv-1.0 library which we used in Realclass to support DV
is an GPL codec library.
Since GPL code must not  be included in Apache Project, I think maybe we
should abandon 1394 DV support.

ps: I have compiled LGPLed ffmpeg0.4.9 to replace the ffmpeg0.4.8 whose
copyright is unsure. Also the codec is changed from MPEG1 to MPEG4.

Best regards,
Arthur

Re: abandon 1394 DV support

Posted by Jin Cao <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi KevinI think 1394 DV support in RealClass could improve the quality
of courseware recording.
We can abandon 1394 DV support at this stage.
But I think we should add it in the later version.
Regards

+1

--
Jin,Cao a.k.a caojin85cn@gmailcom

Re: abandon 1394 DV support

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
hi, Arthur:

Re: abandon 1394 DV support

Posted by Shan Jiang <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found that the libdv-1.0 library which we used in Realclass to support DV
> is an GPL codec library.
> Since GPL code must not  be included in Apache Project, I think maybe we
> should abandon 1394 DV support.

The 1394 DV function of Realclass is an additional function and the most
useful camera device interface in Realclass system application is V4l,
instead of 1394. So abandoning 1394 DV support is a NOT bad idea for
legalizing the Realclass's licence under ASF.

> ps: I have compiled LGPLed ffmpeg0.4.9 to replace the ffmpeg0.4.8 whose
> copyright is unsure. Also the codec is changed from MPEG1 to MPEG4.

Nice work. It is important for us to release the Realclass in ASF incubator.

--
Shan Jiang a.k.a dane @ Bluesky Dev Team XJTU