Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by aaron smith <be...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/09 14:02:36 UTC

Allow access to parts of an SVN repo. Apache & WEBDav

Hey All, I'm running SVN repos through apache and webdav. Is it possible to
give access to certain parts of a repo, but not all of it?

Re: Allow access to parts of an SVN repo. Apache & WEBDav

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/07, Boris Yazlovitsky <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also interested in this question.
>
> How does one do that, give access to certain parts of the repo but not all
> of it?
>
> also, is it possible to give granular access to users, give some users
> access to some parts of the repository, but not all, and let other users
> have full access to the whole?

Just as with many of the other questions asked on this list, these
questions can be answered by reading the fine manual.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.authz.perdir

Re: Allow access to parts of an SVN repo. Apache & WEBDav

Posted by aaron smith <be...@gmail.com>.
good call. I get annoyed when people ask me stupid questions without going
to the manual too. So i should have just done that.. word.

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 11:36:23AM -0400, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 8/9/07, Boris Yazlovitsky <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > no offense taken, thanks for the tip.  I'm curious if anyone on this list
> > actually implements this.  If so, please show how.  I learn better from
> > examples.
>
> Most people do, I think.
>
> The examples in the book are quite good already. It's not that complicated.

ACK.
Just an addition to the book: Access is granted (or denied) to objects,
not only to directories, as the book states.
So, if we have

-------8<-----
[calc:/branches/calc/bug-142]
harry = rw
sally = r

[calc:/branches/calc/bug-142/secret]
harry =
-------8<-----

we could expand this example to

-------8<-----
[calc:/branches/calc/bug-142]
harry = rw
sally = r

[calc:/branches/calc/bug-142/secret]
harry =

[calc:/branches/calc/bug-142/secret/not-so-secret.txt]
harry = r
-------8<-----

In this case, harry would have access to the file not-so-secret.txt via
a web browser.
Of course, since checking out single files is currently not supported by
subversion, harry cannot check out the file with his subversion client.

Rainer

Re: Allow access to parts of an SVN repo. Apache & WEBDav

Posted by "Srilakshmanan, Lakshman" <la...@police.vic.gov.au>.
Hi All,

I am not sure if most people would use directory level authorisation for
all Subversion access.

The Subversion manual under "Disabling Path-based Checks" discusses
about the cost of implementing directory level authorisation as
discussed in this thread.

I would imagine directory level authorisation for "commit" would be
required and is implemented well using commit-access-control.pl and
there is also a python version.

Again, directory level authorisation depends on individual requirements.

Thanks
Lakshman

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Boris Yazlovitsky <bo...@gmail.com>.
no offense taken, thanks for the tip.  I'm curious if anyone on this list
actually implements this.  If so, please show how.  I learn better from
examples.

thanks again,
Boris

http://www.myspace.com/acrylickalchemical

Re: Allow access to parts of an SVN repo. Apache & WEBDav

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.

Posted by Boris Yazlovitsky <bo...@gmail.com>.
I'm also interested in this question.

How does one do that, give access to certain parts of the repo but not all
of it?

also, is it possible to give granular access to users, give some users
access to some parts of the repository, but not all, and let other users
have full access to the whole?

thank you in advance!
Boris

RE: Re: Limiting access through Apache

Posted by Brian Erickson <er...@BAUERCONTROLS.com>.
Hi Everett,

Thanks for your reply.  I didn't end up using the SSPIUsernameCase as
right now I can log in as erickson, Erickson, or ERICKSON and they are
all the same.  I was assuming that using the SSPIUsernameCase directive
would force users to know that the user id's are case sensitive.

Brian

RE: RE: Re: Limiting access through Apache

Posted by Brian Erickson <er...@BAUERCONTROLS.com>.
Got it!

The problem turned out to be in the httpd.conf file. I added:
   SSPIOmitDomain On
and now all is well.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this...
Brian

Posted by Brian Erickson <er...@BAUERCONTROLS.com>.

Posted by "Feldt, Everett" <ef...@unitech1.com>.
You may also wish to use the directive

SSPIUsernameCase lower

-Everett

I think your svn access file should look like this

groups = user1, BAUERCONTROLS\user1 , user2, BAUERCONTROLS\user2

What kind of error it is throwing

Gaurav

On 8/9/07, Brian Erickson <er...@bauercontrols.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm got an authentication problem that I can't seem to solve...
>
> I'm using Apache on a Windows XP box.
>
> The location section in the httpd.conf file looks like:
>
> <Location /svn>
>         DAV svn
>         SVNListParentPath on
>         SVNParentPath "D:\svn"
>
>         AuthName "Subversion on Snidely"
>
>         AuthName "Subversion Authentication"
>     AuthType SSPI
>     SSPIAuth On
>     SSPIAuthoritative On
>     SSPIDomain BAUERCONTROLS
>     SSPIOfferBasic On
>     Require valid-user
>
>         AuthzSVNAccessFile "D:\SubVersion\svnaccess.conf"
> </Location>
>
> The svnaccess.conf file looks like:
> [groups]
> pcsdevelopers=garyc, kevin, robertson, kriesel, anderson, qi, gourlay,
> erickson
> admins=dusseau, librarian, administrator
>
> [/]
> *=rw
> @admins=rw
>
> [pcs:/]
> @pcsdevelopers=rw
>
> [test:/]
> @pcsdevelopers=rw
>

> I know that the '*=rw' line gives everyone read and write access to
the
> repository.  However, if I remove the 'w' then no one can commit
> anything.  It's like the group stuff is being ignored.  I've also
tried
> not using groups and using specfic user names but that didn't help
> either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Gaurav Kothiyal

Re: Limiting access through Apache

Posted by Gaurav Kothiyal <ko...@gmail.com>.
I think your svn access file should look like this

groups = user1, BAUERCONTROLS\user1 , user2, BAUERCONTROLS\user2

What kind of error it is throwing

Gaurav

On 8/9/07, Brian Erickson <er...@bauercontrols.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm got an authentication problem that I can't seem to solve...
>
> I'm using Apache on a Windows XP box.
>
> The location section in the httpd.conf file looks like:
>
> <Location /svn>
>         DAV svn
>         SVNListParentPath on
>         SVNParentPath "D:\svn"
>
>         AuthName "Subversion on Snidely"
>
>         AuthName "Subversion Authentication"
>     AuthType SSPI
>     SSPIAuth On
>     SSPIAuthoritative On
>     SSPIDomain BAUERCONTROLS
>     SSPIOfferBasic On
>     Require valid-user
>
>         AuthzSVNAccessFile "D:\SubVersion\svnaccess.conf"
> </Location>
>
> The svnaccess.conf file looks like:
> [groups]
> pcsdevelopers=garyc, kevin, robertson, kriesel, anderson, qi, gourlay,
> erickson
> admins=dusseau, librarian, administrator
>
> [/]
> *=rw
> @admins=rw
>
> [pcs:/]
> @pcsdevelopers=rw
>
> [test:/]
> @pcsdevelopers=rw
>

> I know that the '*=rw' line gives everyone read and write access to the
> repository.  However, if I remove the 'w' then no one can commit
> anything.  It's like the group stuff is being ignored.  I've also tried
> not using groups and using specfic user names but that didn't help
> either.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian