Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Douglas Bullard <db...@nurflugel.com> on 2008/04/27 00:38:17 UTC

Pre-commit scripts to enforce commit message and make tags read-only

I've been trying to find a pre-commit script that both requires all
commits to have messages, and also prevents commits to tags.

I've found scripts that do one or the other.  A lot seem to be in
python (which none of our staff really knows), is that the most common
language?

Thanks,

Douglas Bullard

Re: Pre-commit scripts to enforce commit message and make tags read-only

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Douglas Bullard wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to find a pre-commit script that both requires all
>> commits to have messages, and also prevents commits to tags.
>>
>> I've found scripts that do one or the other.  A lot seem to be in
>> python (which none of our staff really knows), is that the most common
>> language?
>
> Write a pre-commit script in whatever language you like which calls
> first the one script (e.g. to check the log message), then the other (to
> prevent commits to tags).

The default pre-commit script already has the check for commit messages:

$ cat pre-commit.tmpl
# Make sure that the log message contains some text.
SVNLOOK=/usr/bin/svnlook
$SVNLOOK log -t "$TXN" "$REPOS" | \
    grep "[a-zA-Z0-9]" > /dev/null || exit 1

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies

Re: Pre-commit scripts to enforce commit message and make tags read-only

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.