Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/31 19:05:38 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry preview 5.3-rc-1

We are very pleased to announce the first release candidate preview of
Tapestry 5.3.

Tapestry 5.3 is significantly faster than Tapestry 5.2, and is more
memory efficient ... a long with tons of significant new features,
improvements, and bug fixes.

Details here: http://tapestry.apache.org/2011/10/31/tapestry-53-release-candidate.html

This is still a preview release, but we encourage the Tapestry
community to upgrade to this release. With positive feedback (and no
show-stopping negative feedback) we should progress to a final release
of 5.3 in a few weeks.

For most users, the upgrade path is simply changing the version
number, and performing a clean compile.

Note that with each new release, we get a slew of panicked messages
that Tapestry is broken in bizarre ways. These ALMOST ALWAYS turn out
to be prior-release JARs still on the classpath, either in the
developer's working directory, or in a servlet container deployment
directory. Please carefully clean up your environment as part of the
upgrade!

There are some cases where Tapestry 5.3 performs more rigorous checks
than Tapestry 5.2; for example, 5.3 ensures that event handler methods
that reference a component id ("onSuccessFromLogin") correspond to an
actual component ("login"); in Tapestry 5.2, this was not checked for,
and the event handler method would never fire ... it likely has a typo
in its name, or is related to a component that was removed from the
template.  This particular check can be disabled:
http://tapestry.apache.org/configuration.html#Configuration-tapestry.compatibility.unknowncomponentidcheck...

It would be wise to start up your application under 5.3, then use the
new PageCatalog page (http://localhost:8080/pagecatalog) and click the
"load all" link, to force all pages to be loaded. This will quickly
identify any coding problems in your application.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry preview 5.3-rc-1

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.
There are some cases where Tapestry 5.3 performs more rigorous checks
than Tapestry 5.2

That's one improvement I'll definitely love.
Thank you :)

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are very pleased to announce the first release candidate preview of
> Tapestry 5.3.
>
> Tapestry 5.3 is significantly faster than Tapestry 5.2, and is more
> memory efficient ... a long with tons of significant new features,
> improvements, and bug fixes.
>
> Details here:
> http://tapestry.apache.org/2011/10/31/tapestry-53-release-candidate.html
>
> This is still a preview release, but we encourage the Tapestry
> community to upgrade to this release. With positive feedback (and no
> show-stopping negative feedback) we should progress to a final release
> of 5.3 in a few weeks.
>
> For most users, the upgrade path is simply changing the version
> number, and performing a clean compile.
>
> Note that with each new release, we get a slew of panicked messages
> that Tapestry is broken in bizarre ways. These ALMOST ALWAYS turn out
> to be prior-release JARs still on the classpath, either in the
> developer's working directory, or in a servlet container deployment
> directory. Please carefully clean up your environment as part of the
> upgrade!
>
> There are some cases where Tapestry 5.3 performs more rigorous checks
> than Tapestry 5.2; for example, 5.3 ensures that event handler methods
> that reference a component id ("onSuccessFromLogin") correspond to an
> actual component ("login"); in Tapestry 5.2, this was not checked for,
> and the event handler method would never fire ... it likely has a typo
> in its name, or is related to a component that was removed from the
> template.  This particular check can be disabled:
>
> http://tapestry.apache.org/configuration.html#Configuration-tapestry.compatibility.unknowncomponentidcheck.
> ..
>
> It would be wise to start up your application under 5.3, then use the
> new PageCatalog page (http://localhost:8080/pagecatalog) and click the
> "load all" link, to force all pages to be loaded. This will quickly
> identify any coding problems in your application.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry

> (971) 678-5210
> http://howardlewisship.com

*Regards,*
*Muhammad Gelbana
Java Developer*

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry preview 5.3-rc-1

Posted by dh ning <ni...@gmail.com>.
A pleasure! Done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1741

Thanks,
DH

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dh ning <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donyee <xy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.
You mean 5.3-rc-2 I suppose.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> FYI: I found a minor problem in Tapestry 5.2-rc-1 and am
> building/uploading Tapestry 5.2-rc-2 right now.
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We are very pleased to announce the first release candidate preview of
> > Tapestry 5.3.
> >
> > Tapestry 5.3 is significantly faster than Tapestry 5.2, and is more
> > memory efficient ... a long with tons of significant new features,
> > improvements, and bug fixes.
> >
> > Details here:
> http://tapestry.apache.org/2011/10/31/tapestry-53-release-candidate.html
> >
> > This is still a preview release, but we encourage the Tapestry
> > community to upgrade to this release. With positive feedback (and no
> > show-stopping negative feedback) we should progress to a final release
> > of 5.3 in a few weeks.
> >
> > For most users, the upgrade path is simply changing the version
> > number, and performing a clean compile.
> >
> > Note that with each new release, we get a slew of panicked messages
> > that Tapestry is broken in bizarre ways. These ALMOST ALWAYS turn out
> > to be prior-release JARs still on the classpath, either in the
> > developer's working directory, or in a servlet container deployment
> > directory. Please carefully clean up your environment as part of the
> > upgrade!
> >
> > There are some cases where Tapestry 5.3 performs more rigorous checks
> > than Tapestry 5.2; for example, 5.3 ensures that event handler methods
> > that reference a component id ("onSuccessFromLogin") correspond to an
> > actual component ("login"); in Tapestry 5.2, this was not checked for,
> > and the event handler method would never fire ... it likely has a typo
> > in its name, or is related to a component that was removed from the
> > template.  This particular check can be disabled:
> >
> http://tapestry.apache.org/configuration.html#Configuration-tapestry.compatibility.unknowncomponentidcheck.
> ..
> >
> > It would be wise to start up your application under 5.3, then use the
> > new PageCatalog page (http://localhost:8080/pagecatalog) and click the
> > "load all" link, to force all pages to be loaded. This will quickly
> > identify any coding problems in your application.
> >
> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator of Apache Tapestry
> >
> > The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to
> > learn how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!
> >
> > (971) 678-5210
> > http://howardlewisship.com
> >

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry

> (971) 678-5210
> http://howardlewisship.com

*Regards,*
*Muhammad Gelbana
Java Developer*

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry preview 5.3-rc-1

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry