Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Bernard <Da...@ingcanada.com> on 2008/08/15 17:42:07 UTC

RE Where to place design documents

Hi,

take a look at this link:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

You will problably find the answer

David Bernard

             Farrukh Najmi
             <farrukh@wellflee
             tsoftware.com>                                              A
                                       users@maven.apache.org

                                                                     Objet
             Veuillez répondre         Where to place design documents
               "Maven Users
                   List"
             <users@maven.apac
                  he.org>

Is there a standard place in the maven project structure for placing
design documents for a project?
I could imagine the following possibilities but was wondering if there
was an existing convention in the making:

    * <root>/src/design
    * <root>/design
    * <root>/test/design

Thanks for your input.

Farrukh Najmi

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com

RE: RE Where to place design documents

Posted by "Siegmann Daniel, NY" <Da...@fja-us.com>.
I see nothing in that document which answers the question. I too have
wondered this, but settled for just putting a docs folder on the root
level (since we do not use site in most of our projects).

It would be nice to have a standard folder for this, even if Maven
doesn't use it (now), though src/main/docs seems better. Though Maven
doesn't use this (for now), one of the advantages of having a project
set up in Maven is that I know where to look for things even if I'm
unfamiliar with the project.

I have thought about trying to get automatic documentation generation in
our builds by using something like LaTeX or Docbook XML. I have seen a
little bit from people who have done this, though it doesn't seem
common. But I haven't investigated deeply due to a lack of both time and
interest from my coworkers.

--
Daniel Siegmann
FJA-US, Inc.