Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/05 08:45:36 UTC

Sling Replication renaming

Hi all,

While reviewing Sling Replication on its road to the first release me and
Marius, with the help of some colleagues at Adobe, have cleaned up the APIs
[1] and the documentation / javadoc significantly but also found out that
probably 'replication' is not the best name we could find.

In first place it was called Sling Replication because it originated as a
new effort to address AEM publishing tasks that we used to call
"replication" at Adobe, however we think this is not the proper name
because the replication term [2] mostly refers to being able to create and
maintain multiple copies of the same thing for resiliency, failover, etc.
(see examples of 'replication' in other ASF projects [3][4][5][6][7]) while
our Sling module's main features deal with:
- copying resources from Sling instanceA to Sling instanceB by pulling or
pushing
- synchronizing resources under certain paths (keeping them the same) among
Sling instances

We internally discussed the following name alternatives:
- Sling content synchronization module
- Sling content mirroring module
- Sling content distribution module

and the first two seemed to us a bit too much related to bidirectional full
instance sync while the latter seems to fit nicely with the module
capabilities, therefore I'd propose to change "Sling replication module"
name into "Sling content distribution module".

What do you think?

Looking forward to your opinions,
Regards,
Tommaso

[1] : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-4106
[2] : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_(computing)
[3] : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html#Overview
[4] : http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#replication
[5] : http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#cluster_replication
[6] : http://shaierera.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-replicator.html
[7] : https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Index+Replication

Re: Sling Replication renaming

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'm fine with "content distribution"...

+1

-Bertrand

Re: Sling Replication renaming

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
On 11/5/14 10:49 AM, "Stefan Egli" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>On 11/5/14 10:09 AM, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Am 05.11.14 um 08:45 schrieb Tommaso Teofili:
>>> - Sling content synchronization module
>Other suggestion: "content sync"

Oh, you had that suggested already, forget my comment then :)
'sync' is indeed referring to bi-drectional..

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: Sling Replication renaming

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...PS: Does 'Sling Replication' still also support dispatcher flushing? In
> which case the name would still be confusing..

There's no dispatcher in Sling - if the module supports flushing
front-end caches or other things that's cool, but that should be a
generic extension point.

-Bertrand

Re: Sling Replication renaming

Posted by Stefan Egli <st...@apache.org>.
On 11/5/14 10:09 AM, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

>Am 05.11.14 um 08:45 schrieb Tommaso Teofili:
>> - Sling content synchronization module
>> - Sling content mirroring module
>> - Sling content distribution module
>>
>> and the first two seemed to us a bit too much related to bidirectional
>>full
>> instance sync while the latter seems to fit nicely with the module
>> capabilities, therefore I'd propose to change "Sling replication module"
>> name into "Sling content distribution module".
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>Thanks for bringing this up Tommaso - replication is really a
>missleading term.

+1

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
On Nov 5, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 05.11.14 um 08:45 schrieb Tommaso Teofili:
>> - Sling content synchronization module
>> - Sling content mirroring module
>> - Sling content distribution module
>>
>> and the first two seemed to us a bit too much related to bidirectional full
>> instance sync while the latter seems to fit nicely with the module
>> capabilities, therefore I'd propose to change "Sling replication module"
>> name into "Sling content distribution module".
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> Thanks for bringing this up Tommaso - replication is really a
> missleading term.
> I'm fine with "content distribution”.

+1

regards

antonio

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
thanks all for the feedback, if there's no objection I'll proceed with the
renaming task then.

Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday 05 November 2014 08:45:36 Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Tommaso,