Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/08/21 04:38:15 UTC

[vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Hi,

Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people have
been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably missed
them, or presumed them erroneous.

There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't been
caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been trying
off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets done,
another breaks :)

With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down, I'm
confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The current
failures all occur on my own development machine. It is already set
up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and we have a
couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy and upgraded.

I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd be
good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.

So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also start
to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot deployment.

This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).

[ ] +1
[ ] 0
[ ] -1

- Brett

Re: [vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
heh, +1 for the record :)

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2007/8/20, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people have
> been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably missed
> them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't been
> caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
> container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been trying
> off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets done,
> another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down, I'm
> confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The current
> failures all occur on my own development machine. It is already set
> up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and we have a

+1

> couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy and upgraded.

Count me in

> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd be
> good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also start
> to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
> committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1

Definetely +1
CI tool *should* be a part of committer's work.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

+1,
Stéphane

On 8/21/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people have
> been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably missed
> them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't been
> caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
> container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been trying
> off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets done,
> another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down, I'm
> confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The current
> failures all occur on my own development machine. It is already set
> up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and we have a
> couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy and upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd be
> good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also start
> to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
> committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1
>
> - Brett

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: [vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
As long as we're free to evaluate other tools. Since we've never
actually done any comparison I don't want this to be cast in stone or
be the only tool we use. In other words I don't want this mandated.
I'm happy that it is setup, provided I can use Hudons or something
else. Continuum has not been reliable in the past and I don't want
any sort of lock in.

There's nothing wrong with it and I'm +1 running it, provided it
doesn't preclude the use of other tools.

On 20 Aug 07, at 10:38 PM 20 Aug 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people
> have been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably
> missed them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't
> been caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
> container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been
> trying off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets
> done, another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down,
> I'm confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The
> current failures all occur on my own development machine. It is
> already set up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and
> we have a couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy
> and upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd
> be good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also
> start to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot
> deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
> committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1
>
> - Brett

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

[result] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Result: 11 affirmative votes from committers, and a +1 from Hervé

So, we'll consider it live now. Thanks to those who've volunteered to
help ensure it keeps running smoothly, and to those who've been
working to fix broken builds.

If anyone has any feedback on it's effectiveness (particularly if
there are things that should be on the Continuum roadmap), please
yell :)

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Maven 1 CI

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
If it gets committed to again, yeah, you should be able to add it to
the existing instance without any problems under it's own group.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
a bit late, but +1 of course

Emmanuel

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1
and it'd be great if it deploys snapshots too :D

On 8/21/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people have
> been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably missed
> them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't been
> caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
> container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been trying
> off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets done,
> another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down, I'm
> confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The current
> failures all occur on my own development machine. It is already set
> up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and we have a
> couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy and upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd be
> good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also start
> to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
> committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1
>
> - Brett

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1, definitely.

-john

On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:38 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people
> have been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably
> missed them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't
> been caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus
> container changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been
> trying off and on to fix things, but it seems every time one gets
> done, another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down,
> I'm confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The
> current failures all occur on my own development machine. It is
> already set up, I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and
> we have a couple of volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy
> and upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd
> be good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also
> start to investigate other useful things like automated snapshot
> deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of
> committers that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1
>
> - Brett

---
John Casey
Committer and PMC Member, Apache Maven
mail: jdcasey at commonjava dot org
blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/john

Re: [vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1 of course

Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuum has been running on the zone for a while. Some people have
> been watching the results vigilantly, but others have probably missed
> them, or presumed them erroneous.
>
> There are builds that are failing because of errors that haven't been
> caught (and it's picking up a lot more now due to the plexus container
> changes). We obviously need a CI solution. I've been trying off and on
> to fix things, but it seems every time one gets done, another breaks :)
>
> With the exception of the weekend's hiccup due to SVN being down, I'm
> confident that Continuum is producing accurate results. The current
> failures all occur on my own development machine. It is already set up,
> I can add it to the infrastructure monitoring, and we have a couple of
> volunteers that will make sure it stays healthy and upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure if a vote is the right measure here, but I think it'd be
> good to get some agreement that we all should take notice of the
> messages to notifications@maven.apache.org from it.
>
> So, I vote to start paying attention to Continuum's complaints, and
> nagging people who break things :) If this carries, we can also start to
> investigate other useful things like automated snapshot deployment.
>
> This is a 72-hour vote, to be carried by simple majority of committers
> that vote (ie more +1's than -1's).
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] 0
> [ ] -1
>
> - Brett

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [vote] adopt Continuum instance on zone as part of the project infrastructure

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.
+1, deploying to snapshot repo would be good too.

Andy

Re: JDKs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Yep, we can flip most of the projects over to use a JDK 1.4 profile,
actually. Will do that after the next software upgrade.

- Brett

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Posted by LAMY Olivier <Ol...@accor.com>.
+1.

--
Olivier

[...]

This e-mail, any attachments and the information contained therein ("this message") are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you have received this message in error please send it back to the sender and delete it. Unauthorized publication, use, dissemination or disclosure of this message, either in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Ce message électronique et tous les fichiers joints ainsi que  les informations contenues dans ce message ( ci après "le message" ), sont confidentiels et destinés exclusivement à l'usage de la  personne à laquelle ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci  de le renvoyer à son émetteur et de le détruire. Toutes diffusion, publication, totale ou partielle ou divulgation sous quelque forme que se soit non expressément autorisées de ce message, sont interdites.