Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> on 2001/11/01 04:29:46 UTC

Where oh where has my Berkeley DB gone? (Issue 544)

Any configure hackers out there want to take a crack at this? I've
verified that it's not just me having this problem. Filed as issue #544

Scenario:

- Download Berkeley DB 3.3.11, untar and move it to subversion/db
- cd db/build_unix
- run ../dist/configure && make && make install
- cd back into the subversion build root
- run the following:

    ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared \
                --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3

configure then gives me this line:

    checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... no

I *know* it's there, so I check:

    pantheon:~$ ls /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
    bin  docs  include  lib

It turns out that the workaround for this is to not use the
--with-berkeley-db option at all:

    ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared

works OK. So I'm guessing that right now you can only build with
Berkeley DB if you've got it in your subversion source directory

-Fitz

Re: Where oh where has my Berkeley DB gone? (Issue 544)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> > One guess: do you need to add /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib to your
> > library search path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf)?
>
> This latter issue is what got me when I set up my new box at work. I had
> forgotten to add it to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig first. When configure
> tried to link against the library to check its version... blam! No workie.
> So configure assumed the library wasn't there after all.

I've been building on FreeBSD for ages, and I've had the same problem
as Fitz for quite a while.  I've been building DB "inline" for eons
just to avoid the problem.

But yes, in your /etc/rc.conf, you can override the variable
${ldconfig_paths} that is normally set in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

  ldconfig_paths="${ldconfig_paths} /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3.11/lib"

This is what we did on our FreeBSD test box.  Dunno how Darwin works
though.  :-)

Re: Where oh where has my Berkeley DB gone? (Issue 544)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 04:51:20AM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> writes:
>
> > Any configure hackers out there want to take a crack at this? I've

Watch out if you use the --config-cache switch. We cache where we find (or
don't find) DB. So if you have a cache that says it doesn't exist somewhere,
then you install it, then rerun config -- it won't find it. Gotta wipe the
cache, or just not use it.

> > Scenario:
> >
> > - Download Berkeley DB 3.3.11, untar and move it to subversion/db
> > - cd db/build_unix
> > - run ../dist/configure && make && make install
> > - cd back into the subversion build root

If you're going to install it separately, then I don't think you should
locate the thing in the db/ subdirectory.

> > configure then gives me this line:
> >
> >     checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... no
>
> So are there errors in config.log relating to the tests for Berkeley?
>
> One guess: do you need to add /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib to your
> library search path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf)?

This latter issue is what got me when I set up my new box at work. I had
forgotten to add it to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig first. When configure
tried to link against the library to check its version... blam! No workie.
So configure assumed the library wasn't there after all.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Where oh where has my Berkeley DB gone? (Issue 544)

Posted by Philip Martin <pm...@ntlworld.com>.
"B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> writes:

> Any configure hackers out there want to take a crack at this? I've
> verified that it's not just me having this problem. Filed as issue #544
>
> Scenario:
>
> - Download Berkeley DB 3.3.11, untar and move it to subversion/db
> - cd db/build_unix
> - run ../dist/configure && make && make install
> - cd back into the subversion build root
> - run the following:
>
>     ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared \
>                 --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
>
> configure then gives me this line:
>
>     checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... no

So are there errors in config.log relating to the tests for Berkeley?

One guess: do you need to add /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib to your
library search path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf)?

Philip

Re: Where oh where has my Berkeley DB gone? (Issue 544)

Posted by Tony Parent <tp...@amcc.com>.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:29:46 -0600 "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com> wrote:

BWF> Any configure hackers out there want to take a crack at this? I've
BWF> verified that it's not just me having this problem. Filed as issue
BWF>
BWF> Scenario:
BWF>
BWF> - Download Berkeley DB 3.3.11, untar and move it to subversion/db
BWF> - cd db/build_unix
BWF> - run ../dist/configure && make && make install
BWF> - cd back into the subversion build root
BWF> - run the following:
BWF>
BWF>     ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared \
BWF>                 --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
BWF>
BWF> configure then gives me this line:
BWF>
BWF>     checking for Berkeley DB in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3... no
BWF>
BWF> I *know* it's there, so I check:
BWF>
BWF>     pantheon:~$ ls /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3
BWF>     bin  docs  include  lib
BWF>
BWF> It turns out that the workaround for this is to not use the
BWF> --with-berkeley-db option at all:
BWF>
BWF>     ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared
BWF>
BWF> works OK. So I'm guessing that right now you can only build with
BWF> Berkeley DB if you've got it in your subversion source directory

I installed the Berkeley DB in a non-standard location as I don't have root
permission and had to set CCPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to point to the install
directory. After that configure found it OK with the --with-berkeley-db=
option set. (But then again, it may have run OK without it.)

== Tony Parent                             AMCC FDC              ==
== Design Automation Engineer              tparent@amcc.com      ==
== 4715 Innovation Drive                   Phone: (970) 267-5120 ==
== Fort Collins, CO  80525                 FAX:   (970) 267-5180 ==