Posted to dev@eagle.apache.org by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org> on 2015/12/07 06:12:14 UTC

[Discuss] support complex policy template gracefully

I want to start some discussion on how to support complex policy template
gracefully.

Today if we want to support a policy like "alert when a user deletes some
sensitivity file", then user has to compose very complex policy because in
Hdfs file deletion will spawn multiple granular hdfs audit events. It is
hard for user to define such a simple policy in a straightforward way.

I want to propose to solve the problem with the following approach
EAGLE-68 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EAGLE-68>, EAGLE-14
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EAGLE-14>

First in stream processing phase, Eagle will reassemble user level command
from granular audit event which is defined by EAGLE-14
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EAGLE-14>
Second, in UI we provide a general feature for user to import a predefined
policy template and those policy templates can be hosted in eagle source
code externalPolices for example. this is defined in EAGLE-68
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EAGLE-68>

With this approach, we don't need customize HDFS policy UI and I hope we
can always avoid customizing a UI for a specified data source.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Edward Zhang

Re: [Discuss] support complex policy template gracefully

Posted by "Chen, Hao" <Ha...@ebay.com>.
We could refer to logstash extensible patterns: https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-patterns-core/tree/master/patterns

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/plugins-filters-grok.html

I think logstash is well designed as a general-purpose pipeline for stream processing  though single process only now :-)

Thanks,
Hao

Posted by "Chen, Hao" <Ha...@ebay.com>.

Posted by "Zhang, Edward (GDI Hadoop)" <yo...@ebay.com>.