Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Churu Tang <ct...@rubiconproject.com> on 2014/03/05 00:10:09 UTC

Failed in automatically creating topic

Hi,

According to the auto.create.topics.enable description, 1). attempts to produce, 2), consume, 3), fetch metadata for a non-existent topic will automatically create the topic with default config. I set the auto.create.topics.enable to true, and only 3) fetch metadata will creates the topic.
ProduceRequest, OffsetRequest for a non-existent topic of partition 0 will result in a errorCode:3:unknown topic or partition response. If no produceMessageSet included for produceRequest, or on offsetPartition included for offsetRequest, then the non-existent topic request will result a no-error response, but the non-existent topic is still not created.
Are the above what it supposed to do? Or Could I misconfigured anything? Thanks for your time!

Thanks,
Churu

Re: Failed in automatically creating topic

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the produce request itself won't trigger topic creation. However, the
first thing the producer client does is to issue a metadata request.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Churu,