Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/01/26 14:13:15 UTC

Re: Struts Jericho/Roadmap [was Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:15:21 -0700, Richard Hightower wrote:
> What is the 411 on struts-jericho?

It's a whiteboard proposal, waiting to see if anyone buys in :)

I wanted to get something "other there" so we could start capturing ideas, but, right now, my own volunteer hours are going into getting 1.2.0 ready to roll :)

After that, I'd like to march through the (dozens of ) outstanding patches for 1.x.x, to be sure Jericho covers any and all bases mentioned there.

But, if anyone has an itch to start floating code for a 2.x/Jericho implementation, feel free. My only comment is any proposed 2.x code should include full test coverage, back to front. I'd also be +1 on utilizing Commons Chain as a core component, as contemplated by Struts Chain. I've been using Commons Chains in my own apps for several months now, and I'm about ready to start working on some howtos or some type of developers guide.

On the testing front, one other thing I'd like to do for 1.2.1 is a full suite of Canoo WebTest for the example applications. [Especially that nasty but quite useful Taglib Exercise module:)] WebTest is an extension of HttpUnit that lets you design tests via a XML script that can be run as an Ant Build file. Very sweet. :)

Hey, who knows to  prompt ibiblio about adding a new version? (Martin?) There's a much new version of  Canoo WebTest that should be added.

-Ted.

Re: Struts Jericho/Roadmap [was Does struts-chain work with tomcat 4.1 ?]

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <pa...@chanezon.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:15:21 -0700, Richard Hightower wrote:
>

>>What is the 411 on struts-jericho?
>>

>It's a whiteboard proposal, waiting to see if anyone buys in :)
>
>I wanted to get something "other there" so we could start capturing ideas, but, right now, my own volunteer hours are going into getting 1.2.0 ready to roll :)
>
>After that, I'd like to march through the (dozens of ) outstanding patches for 1.x.x, to be sure Jericho covers any and all bases mentioned there.
>
>But, if anyone has an itch to start floating code for a 2.x/Jericho implementation, feel free. My only comment is any proposed 2.x code should include full test coverage, back to front. I'd also be +1 on utilizing Commons Chain as a core component, as contemplated by Struts Chain. I've been using Commons Chains in my own apps for several months now, and I'm about ready to start working on some howtos or some type of developers guide.
>
>On the testing front, one other thing I'd like to do for 1.2.1 is a full suite of Canoo WebTest for the example applications. [Especially that nasty but quite useful Taglib Exercise module:)] WebTest is an extension of HttpUnit that lets you design tests via a XML script that can be run as an Ant Build file. Very sweet. :)

That's a great idea. I've loved the idea of Canoo first time I saw it,
but have never applied it to any of my projects.
Having these tests would help avoid the kind of problem that happens
with the current example application that does not work with
struts-chain: it would at least signal the problems when they arrive.

>Hey, who knows to  prompt ibiblio about adding a new version? (Martin?) There's a much new version of  Canoo WebTest that should be added.

Maven's Jira Issue db seems to have a category for ibiblio upload
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10367

There should be page that explains that at
http://maven.apache.org/repository-upload.html

But it seems to be down now.

P@