Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/18 07:07:58 UTC

Fwd: [DISCUSS] can we use weex.io as the short domain name for the apache project

Hi, there

I am a PPMC member of incubator-weex, there is some confusion about
third-party domain and it seems like difficult to resolve in dev@ mailing
list, maybe someone here could give a hand to solve the problem of domains.

1.I 'd like to know if there is a formal rule that projects should use
xxx.apache.org instead of xxx.io, which is shorter and easier to remember.
2. we have another domain  weex-project.io for fast access of Çhinese
Developers as GFW have some confluence on https://weex.apache.org/cn/. Is
this against rules for apache project.

Best Regards,
YorkShen

申远

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1.I 'd like to know if there is a formal rule that projects should use
> xxx.apache.org instead of xxx.io, which is shorter and easier to remember.

The incubator guidelines say [1] which says it must be xxx.(incubator).apache.org and the code for the site hosting in an ASF repo. I would suggest you redirect that domain to xxx.apache.org.

There are also trademark and branding issues around 3rd parties use domains containing Aapache project names. [2][3]

> 2. we have another domain  weex-project.io for fast access of Çhinese
> Developers as GFW have some confluence on https://weex.apache.org/cn/. Is
> this against rules for apache project.

See above I'd say yes that’s not usually allowed.

That being said there have been a couple of exceptions over the years e.g. openoffice.org But realise these are exceptional reasons for allowing domains like this, I suggest you talk to branding and trademarks if you want to get permission to do so.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html
2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/#domains
3. http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html

Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] can we use weex.io as the short domain namefortheapache project

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
All,

ASF policy states that:

"Apache projects must host official website content on an apache.org domain"

That said, if there are issues with access speeds from some locations
I'd strongly urge affected projects to engage with our infrastructure
team to find a solution. Maybe we can set up a www/TLP mirror in China.
I have no idea how practical that is or if a better solution is
available. The infrastructure folks are the ones to talk to.

Mark

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> 于2019年2月18日周一 下午5:16写道:

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.

From:  "申远"<sh...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Mon, Feb 18, 2019 05:07 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] can we use weex.io as the short domain namefortheapache project

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

From:  "申远"<sh...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Mon, Feb 18, 2019 04:33 PM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi YorkShen

From my understanding, weex project, including branding and logo, should be donated to ASF(at least before Graduation).
The basic policy is, weex.apache.org should be the only official website for the project.
And project's website should be hosted in Apache Infra.

If you have others, let's say weex.io and weex-project.io, and run by your committers team, I suggest
1. Set redirect for `weex.io` to `weex.apache.org`, for the end user convenience.
2. For the Chinese documents, if your committers/contributors maintain this, put it in `http://weex.apache.org/cn/`makes sense.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there are some trouble to access apache project website
from China. ServiceComb project has a chinese version[1]. We didn't
get any complain about having trouble to access it from China.

[1]http://servicecomb.apache.org/cn/

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem