Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/18 04:30:51 UTC

[general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

I like localized Wiki pages and I think we can make one more step in
this direction.

How about work out a process so that we could accept bug reports and
patches on other languages? It does not look like something undoable.
Usually reproducers and patches are language-independent, and assigned
person could translate comments to English...

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/19, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>:

> On 10/19/07, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have created a experimental JIRA report[1] in Chinese & English.
> > I am not quite sure about whether I did the go through the right process
> > or the content is qualified enough to be readable.
> >
> > May it be a good start for us to find a appropriate process and pattern
> > file multi-lingual JIRAs.
> >
> > Please correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4971
> >
> > 2007/10/19, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > I have just checked: Russian language already works in JIRA along with
> > > English. They use <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> > > charset=utf-8">, so I believe Chinese descriptions may be added to
> > > reports as well.
> > >
> > > I believe one may create a web page describing bug filing process in a
> > > native language to make it convenient for native language filers.

> there

> since
> > > most of
> e.g.
> > > Other
> who
> > > location.

> it.

> channel,
> or
> > > ignore
> don't
> > > have

> > > step in

> reports
> > > and
> > > undoable.
> and
> > > assigned

> > > more work
> in

> > > information to
> suggestion
> > > for

> It is interesting. But how about the people with different native
> language?:) Actually I am not quite assure of the automatic
> translator. The world of computer has been so complicated to describe,
> especially problems ...

Yes, totally agree. :-) How about we have a try first? May be there is other
experts
also interested?

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/19, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:

> Very nice!
>
> Now I think we should create instructions on wiki on languages that we
> speak
> describing how to file a JIRA. And put a statement like: "now we
> accept defect reports and pathes on other langages" to the news
> section on the main page
> and to the blogs. And put the same statement on all languages
> we understand with a link to instructions on that languages

+1. And I have created a simple and crude chinese wiki pages[1] for
recording the process.
All those wired chars are encoded chinese words.

You can navigate to the page as follow:
1. Direct your browser to http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/FrontPage
2. Click the link on the second line 'Harmony
wiki中文页<http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Harmony%20wiki%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E9%A1%B5>'
[2]
3. Click the link
'Harmony中文缺陷报告起步<http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Harmony%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%BC%BA%E9%99%B7%E6%8A%A5%E5%91%8A%E8%B5%B7%E6%AD%A5>'
[3]

You can also see a note on '== Harmony 新闻 ==' part:

begin

* 多语言Bug 报告系统 *

   -

   Apache Harmony 现在支持多种语言的Bug报告。目前暂时支持中文,英文和俄文。JIRA 4971[image:
[WWW]]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4971<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4971>使用中文和英文双语

报告了一个功能增强的问题。这个报告的内容是有实际意义的,但是形式是试验性质的。对于多语言报告的流程和形式,大家可以各抒己见。您可以把意见记录到以下页面。
Harmony中文缺陷报告起步<http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Harmony%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%BC%BA%E9%99%B7%E6%8A%A5%E5%91%8A%E8%B5%B7%E6%AD%A5>

end

For English wiki page, I am not quite sure where to add the link. I think we
may have a discussion.

For wiki page for Russian or any other lanugage, will anyone else help to
create them? I am lack of knowledge. :-)

[1]
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Harmony%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%BC%BA%E9%99%B7%E6%8A%A5%E5%91%8A%E8%B5%B7%E6%AD%A5
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Harmony%20wiki%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E9%A1%B5
[3]

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/22, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > Should we call a formal vote to start accepting JIRAs on the two new languages?
>
> I don't think this needs a formal vote, just go ahead.

done

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/07, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I used google translator and could easily inderstand what's there!

    Great! (But from my experience it is a little hard to translate
to/from Chinese. And technique issue will make things worse.:)
    But all in all it deserves a try.
    I am wondering whether we can achieve this seamlessly. A user can
use the language he likes and the bug-tracking system can acknowledge
the language of the report by the locale setting from the browser and
by analyzing encoding charset. Once receiving a request of viewing,
the bug-tracking system will render the page with the information
translated to English if the locale of the target user shows that
his/her native language is different from the orginal record.

> 2007/10/19, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> > Very nice!
> >
> > Now I think we should create instructions on wiki on languages that we speak
> > describing how to file a JIRA. And put a statement like: "now we
> > accept defect reports and pathes on other langages" to the news
> > section on the main page
> > and to the blogs. And put the same statement on all languages
> > we understand with a link to instructions on that languages
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail
> >
> > 2007/10/19, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have created a experimental JIRA report[1] in Chinese & English.
> > > I am not quite sure about whether I did the go through the right process
> > > or the content is qualified enough to be readable.
> > >
> > > May it be a good start for us to find a appropriate process and pattern to
> > > file multi-lingual JIRAs.
> > >
> > > Please correct me if I am wrong.
> > >
> > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4971

> > > --
> > > Spark Shen

Leo Li

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Very nice!

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,

Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
agree

--
Sean Qiu

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
The idea of supporting non-English speakers is rather promising, but i am
not sure we're ready to port the issue tracking system to it.
firstly, a person not knowing English enough to submit a bug won't be able
to reach the bug tracker and navigate in it.
secondly, a person submitting bugs in a language other than English will
need localized documentation. Chinese and Russian help can be a start, we
should probably write some more materials in these languages - such as a
localized download page and key features page. linking to bug tracker from
there can lead non-English speakers further.

On 10/18/07, Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/10/18, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> > Well we can start for example with Chinese and Russian.
> > I think we have enough people here who could translate
> >
> > For other languages we could use e.g. auto-translators.
> >
> > I suggest that we consider this as a new potential feedback channel,
> > if you have user feedback then you have a choice to translate it or
> ignore it.
> > If we say that we don't read feedback in other languages we don't have
> > such a choice.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Sounds interesting. I think we may try such workflow internally for
> now (before publicly advertising multilingual support), e.g. some of
> fellow contributors files a couple of non-english JIRAs, and watch how
> others will respond, and how much overhead the translation will incur
> :)
>
> Apparently the translation of initial report should happen promptly,
> to enable all community resources to evaluate/fix/commit the issue.
> BTW, how issue summaries should look then - bi-lingual strings to
> allow normal navigation for all?
>
> OTOH w/o multilingual website I doubt we'll get much of non-english
> reports - at least user instructions should be available on other
> languages; besides JIRA interface is English only.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail

> undoable.
> assigned
> > >

> > > Sounds interesting. But will this bring more work to assignees more
> work or
> > > prevent them
> > > from understanding the issue? For example, how can JIRA report in
> Turkish be
> > > readable to
> > > an English speaker?
> > >
> > > I agree that globalized JIRA may provider more valuable information to
> > > outsiders. And how
> > > about the reporters to do the translation work? (Just a suggestion for
> the
> > > potential process :-) )
> > >
> > > Correct my if I am wrong.
> > >
> > > Ideas?

> > > --
> > > Spark Shen

Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
On 10/18/07, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> I suggest that we consider this as a new potential feedback channel,
> if you have user feedback then you have a choice to translate it or ignore
> it.
> If we say that we don't read feedback in other languages we don't have
> such a choice.

Yes, that's the point!

What do you think?

> Thanks,
> Mikhail
>
> 2007/10/18, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>:
> > 2007/10/18, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > I like localized Wiki pages and I think we can make one more step in
> > > this direction.
> > >
> > > How about work out a process so that we could accept bug reports and
> > > patches on other languages? It does not look like something undoable.
> > > Usually reproducers and patches are language-independent, and assigned
> > > person could translate comments to English...
> >

> > Sounds interesting. But will this bring more work to assignees more work
> or
> > prevent them
> > from understanding the issue? For example, how can JIRA report in
> Turkish be
> > readable to
> > an English speaker?
> >
> > I agree that globalized JIRA may provider more valuable information to
> > outsiders. And how
> > about the reporters to do the translation work? (Just a suggestion for
> the
> > potential process :-) )
> >
> > Correct my if I am wrong.
> >
> > Ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mikhail
> > >

> > --
> > Spark Shen
> > China Software Development Lab, IBM

--
Best regards,
Andrew Zhang

http://zhanghuangzhu.blogspot.com/

Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/18, Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>:

> On 10/18/07, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2007/10/18, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Well we can start for example with Chinese and Russian.
> > > I think we have enough people here who could translate
> > >
> > > For other languages we could use e.g. auto-translators.
> >

> > I suggest that we consider this as a new potential feedback channel,
> > > if you have user feedback then you have a choice to translate it or
> > ignore
> > > it.
> > > If we say that we don't read feedback in other languages we don't have
> > > such a choice.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >

> > I think the idea here is to provider information for more potential
> > developers and to attract them.
> > And since our JIRA system is an open system, of course reporters can
> > modify
> > it according to
> > different requirement. And I agree with your idea: to provide
> > multi-lingual
> > edition report has its value.
> >
> > My thought here is the duplicated work - report it once in A language
> and
> > then translate it using B
> > language providing identical information. (I assume most developers
> > understand English version JIRA report well).
>

> I think the idea is to give non-Engish speaker an opportunity to report
> their feedbacks, not for those who understand English.

I'd like to explain my point more clearly.

I think the opportunity is always there. Just nobody noticed this potential
usage.
To setup an example (report JIRA in Russian or Chinese or other languages)
to do things like this will have positive impacts.
And I do agree this is a great channel.

But, IMHO, duplicate efforts and lack of language knowledge will also be a
factor to prevent people from doing that.
So, a tool may not be a bad idea.

May be we could provide a tool just like that for auto translating apache

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.