Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2012/05/02 11:12:55 UTC

Regarding first incubator report

Hi all,

I hope all of you are having fun here after the move. I'd like to take this
opportunity to welcome everyone. The community is very lively and effective
in participating on the mailing lists. Infrastructure work to get fully
situated is moving along. All signs are positive IMO.

As you may know we're starting to approach (May 9th) the due date for our
first real board report. I think we should start early because:

1). We need to get the hang of producing it
2). There may be more content this time around because of the intensity of
activity for setup
3). Although there is no official format, the way we produce the report
changes from community to community so this is also something we need to
get comfortable with amongst ourselves.

Generally the process can be managed collaboratively in the open via the
incubator wiki. If sensitive topics need discussion, they can be addressed
on our private mailing list and added to the report before submitting it to
the board.

Please forgive the noise if we've already started.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: Regarding first incubator report

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <
prasanna.santhanam@citrix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:09:35AM -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Alex, glad to hear you think the community is working well.   We
> > > followed the template that was pre-existing and added content to it.
> > > Personally I think it's fine, but this is my first involvement in
> producing
> > > this report so would certainly appreciate feedback.
> > >

> > Doh! It looks like I have missed a few conversations :-(. Brett just gave
> > me a heads up.
> >
> > I've read and reviewed the report and it looks great. I have only one
> > additional recommendation and it's optional at best.
> >
> > If you remember, there was some discussion over how we can put individual
> > committers without vast hardware resources at an equal footing with those
> > working for companies having the infrastructure to support development,
> > like Citrix employees for example.
> >
> > We talked about a service being exposed for integration testing code
> pushes
> > and you mentioned an integration testing framework that Citrix may make
> > available so all contributions can be thoroughly tested. This would in
> turn
> > make it easier for those without hardware resources at their disposal to
> > participate and would decrease the time for us to apply patches. Could we
> > make mention of this in the report? I thought it might be good for the
> > board to know that we're considering this issue and that we're taking
> steps
> > towards solving it.
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> We are coming together to set up the necessary hardware so external
> committers without infrastructure can push tests using our integration
> framework. This will most likely start off with a small rack of hosts
> using one hypervisor to start with and we'll expand it as we go. We
> are experimenting with it now and hope to announce it soon.
>
> I will work with Ahmad, Chandan and others who manage our lab in
> SantaClara on this. We'll mostly be talking more about it on the list
> in the coming weeks.
>
> Also - In the coming week we'll be announcing the integration test
> framework
> on the dev lists. Edison presented a demo of this at the bootcamp and
> I'm guessing some of the folks here were there to see it.

OK we need not mention it in this report then. There was an email or two on
how cloud projects bias those working in big institutions with vast
hardware resources verses individuals. I wanted to just get a snippet in
there showing that we're actively confronting the issue. But I don't think
it's that big of a deal. We can show a concrete solution in the next
incubator report rather than just hinting about one now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by Brett Adam <bp...@rpath.com>.
On May 4, 2012, at 1:54 AM, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:09:35AM -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>> If you remember, there was some discussion over how we can put individual
>> committers without vast hardware resources at an equal footing with those
>> working for companies having the infrastructure to support development,
>> like Citrix employees for example.
>>

> We are coming together to set up the necessary hardware so external
> committers without infrastructure can push tests using our integration
> framework. This will most likely start off with a small rack of hosts
> using one hypervisor to start with and we'll expand it as we go. We
> are experimenting with it now and hope to announce it soon.

+10

This is a very valuable step to take and should really help accelerate diversification of participation IMHO.

- Brett

Re: Regarding first incubator report

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <pr...@citrix.com>.
On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:09:35AM -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex, glad to hear you think the community is working well.   We
> > followed the template that was pre-existing and added content to it.
> > Personally I think it's fine, but this is my first involvement in producing
> > this report so would certainly appreciate feedback.
> >

> Doh! It looks like I have missed a few conversations :-(. Brett just gave
> me a heads up.
>
> I've read and reviewed the report and it looks great. I have only one
> additional recommendation and it's optional at best.
>
> If you remember, there was some discussion over how we can put individual
> committers without vast hardware resources at an equal footing with those
> working for companies having the infrastructure to support development,
> like Citrix employees for example.
>
> We talked about a service being exposed for integration testing code pushes
> and you mentioned an integration testing framework that Citrix may make
> available so all contributions can be thoroughly tested. This would in turn
> make it easier for those without hardware resources at their disposal to
> participate and would decrease the time for us to apply patches. Could we
> make mention of this in the report? I thought it might be good for the
> board to know that we're considering this issue and that we're taking steps
> towards solving it.

Hi Alex,

We are coming together to set up the necessary hardware so external
committers without infrastructure can push tests using our integration
framework. This will most likely start off with a small rack of hosts
using one hypervisor to start with and we'll expand it as we go. We
are experimenting with it now and hope to announce it soon.

I will work with Ahmad, Chandan and others who manage our lab in
SantaClara on this. We'll mostly be talking more about it on the list
in the coming weeks.

Also - In the coming week we'll be announcing the integration test framework
on the dev lists. Edison presented a demo of this at the bootcamp and
I'm guessing some of the folks here were there to see it.

Prasanna.,

Re: Regarding first incubator report

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin,

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex, glad to hear you think the community is working well.   We
> followed the template that was pre-existing and added content to it.
> Personally I think it's fine, but this is my first involvement in producing
> this report so would certainly appreciate feedback.

Doh! It looks like I have missed a few conversations :-(. Brett just gave
me a heads up.

I've read and reviewed the report and it looks great. I have only one
additional recommendation and it's optional at best.

If you remember, there was some discussion over how we can put individual
committers without vast hardware resources at an equal footing with those
working for companies having the infrastructure to support development,
like Citrix employees for example.

We talked about a service being exposed for integration testing code pushes
and you mentioned an integration testing framework that Citrix may make
available so all contributions can be thoroughly tested. This would in turn
make it easier for those without hardware resources at their disposal to
participate and would decrease the time for us to apply patches. Could we
make mention of this in the report? I thought it might be good for the
board to know that we're considering this issue and that we're taking steps
towards solving it.

Best,

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
Hi Alex, glad to hear you think the community is working well.   We followed the template that was pre-existing and added content to it.   Personally I think it's fine, but this is my first involvement in producing this report so would certainly appreciate feedback.

-kevin