Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Marc Logemann <ml...@logemann.org> on 2006/09/01 23:43:28 UTC

name of JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation

Hi,

like Kevin i am also crawling through the bootstrapping process which
has its challenges because of all its JAR-Services API woodoo. So far
i understand that OpenJPA looks for ProductDerivations in services/
org.apache.openjpa.conf.ProductDerivation file and will store all
classnames it finds. Currently of course its only one, the JPA
derived JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation. I assume that kodo users
will soon get a distro with OpenJPA.jar + KodJDOaddon.jar that will
also contain a META-INF/services/
org.apache.openjpa.conf.ProductDerivation file with a different
implementation of ProductDerivation.

Now i wonder how good the name "JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation" is
because it says nothing about the spec it uses. It clearly sets
constants like PersistenceProductDerivation.SPEC_JPA. so its
obviously JPA related ;-) Or do i miss something here? Since i dont
know the JDO side of Kodo, i can only guess here.

One more: why is there no openjpa.xml? I saw that it can provide
globals (constants?) while bootstrapping but i can find none in the
source tree.

--
regards
Marc Logemann

RE: name of JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
> > One more: why is there no openjpa.xml? I saw that it can provide
> > globals (constants?) while bootstrapping but i can find
> none in the
> > source tree.
>
> Because you can use the JPA-standard persistence.xml instead, which
> is loaded by default whenever no explicit alternate is provided,
> according to the JPA spec.  The JDO spec doesn't have a default
> properties file location, so kodo.properties is somewhat useful
> there, but we don't expect many users to want an openjpa.xml globals
> file.

Meanwhile, we (BEA) are working on a XML configuration file format for
configuring Kodo in a WebLogic Server environment. Currently, we're
calling this file "persistence-configuration.xml"; the basic idea is
that all the non-JPA-standard information will be in
persistence-configuration.xml, and people will not need to use the
name-value pairs in the persistence.xml. We (BEA) would love to get this
format or something like it into OpenJPA -- I should send out an email
outlining what we've done so far one of these days.

-Patrick
by email and then delete it.

Re: name of JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation

Posted by Abe White <aw...@bea.com>.
> Now i wonder how good the name "JDBCPersistenceProductDerivation"
> is because it says nothing about the spec it uses

The package name of JPA is javax.persistence.  So any time there's a
class/package in OpenJPA that has "persistence" in it, it's referring
to JPA.  For the JDO equivalent in Kodo, replace "persistence" with
"JDO".

We had to name these things while the spec was still called "EJB 3",
so just be thankful we didn't wind up with "EJB" everywhere :)