Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Rob Young <bu...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/17 11:50:46 UTC

Memory Issues

Hi,

I've developed a service which accepts search requests over the network,
runs them with Lucene and pumps out results. I have noticed that if I
use RAMDirectory the memory usage is much more (more than expected) and
it grows as the service is left running.
The lucene index is 34Mb but when the service starts up 90Mb is used (as
seen by top). I'm setting an upper limit of 200Mb for the service to use
and after being left for day with about a request every 2-4 seconds the
memory consumtion is 213Mb (I'm guessing this is because top includes
other stuff). My question is, why is so much extra memory being used? Is
the RAMDirectory object that much larger than the index on disk? Is
caching put in place to speed things up if the memory is available?
If this is normal then OK but I'd just like to know.

Thanks for any help
Rob