Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ariel <is...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/23 18:00:04 UTC

What is the percent of size of lucene's index ?

I need to know what is the percent of size of lucene's index respect the
information I'm going to index, I have read some articles that say if a I
index 120 Gb of information the index will grow until 40 Gb, that means the
percent is 30 %, Could somebody tell me how can be proved that ?
Is there any official document of apache lucene where says that ?
I hope somebody can help me.
Thanks.
Ariel

Re: What is the percent of size of lucene's index ?

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
You can also use Luke after you've created your indexes to get their
exact size, and other interesting data points.

Like Ian said though, the decisions you make on a field by field basis
will make your index size vary quite a bit, so probably the best thing
you could do is simply try it out, and then examine it.

Matt

Ian Lea wrote:
> I think there are too many variables to give a simple answer.
>
> How much of your data are you storing?  Indexing? Compressing?
>
> Get a representative sample of your data and try it out.
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Ariel <is...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I need to know what is the percent of size of lucene's index respect the
>> information I'm going to index, I have read some articles that say if a I
>> index 120 Gb of information the index will grow until 40 Gb, that means the
>> percent is 30 %, Could somebody tell me how can be proved that ?
>> Is there any official document of apache lucene where says that ?
>> I hope somebody can help me.
>> Thanks.
>> Ariel

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics
mhall@informatics.jax.org
(207) 288-6012

Re: What is the percent of size of lucene's index ?

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.