Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Heiko Baumann <sc...@web.de> on 2005/09/29 21:30:11 UTC

[users@httpd] RCP-over-HTTP and mod_proxy

Hi list,

i've tried to get rpc-over-http (outlook 2003) with apache2 and
mod_proxy to work, with moderate results.

the connection often fails or reset. i've played around with different
configs and different apache versions on my gentoo box. but no luck.

the config i've used is nearly the same as the one posted here
http://3cx.org/item/46
and at the end of the site i've posted the results of my testing.

-snip-

    the2nd <ma...@web.de> wrote:

i've tried this a few days ago and found out that the connection
sometimes fails or get reset. while sniffing with ssldump i can see that
the rpc_in_data/rpc_out_data "http" (header) requests are send in one
tcp packet from the client to apache/mod_proxy but the outgoing traffic
(from apache to rpc proxy) often is split into more smaller packets (one
tcp packet per line). since the rpc traffic is binary data encapsulated
in the http body i guess this is a problem!? i have not protocol design
knowledge so maybe i am wrong. but there is a mod_proxy extension to get
another binary protocol work with mod_proxy.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html
so maybe i am not wrong!?

btw. with squid in accel mode it works without this problems and
sniffing with ssldump shows that squid does not change the packet size.

btw2. does anybody know if outlook 2003 is able to send a client
certificate to authenicate to apache/squid/rpc-proxy whatever? and does
anybody know if outlook is able to use a proxy with basic auth to
connect to a rpc-proxy? this are 2 important features to make it a more
secure and usefull solution. but hey, its M$ ;)

regards
the2nd

Thu 01 Sep 03:44:08 JST 2005
-snap-