Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com> on 2008/07/13 20:41:29 UTC

[VFS] How to use operations

Hi all,

I'm toying with my own VFS operations but I can't quite figure out how to work with them.

don't see how a client of the VFS framework should use the operations;
other than when the client has prior knowledge of the operations that
exist.

I wrote a beanshell script that rewrites the basic
beanshell interpreter file manipulations (cd, pwd, cp, mv etc) to VFS
manipulations. It works  great and  I can use my custom provider (for
Documentum) without any problem within the beanshell interpreter. When
I tried to add support for operations I found that it is difficult to
make  it generic though.

I added some operations to my provider
just to try; when I list the available operations I get a list of
Classes. As a user it is quite hard to interpret this. I could try to
use Reflection, but a user readable description of what the operation
seems far away.

In my view the operations only become
interesting when they are usable by a generic VFS client. If the client
is specific for the operations (I guess most operations are related to
a provider for a particular schema)  then I don't see the need to have
the intermediate VFS layer, you can as well  create a client based
directly on the underlying layer.

Does anyone have any experience with using the operations?

Thanks,

Frank

RE: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>> 1. Do you have any mechanism in mind to give feedback on the result
>> of the operation?
>>
> Not yet, this is all work in progress. But probably changing the
> FileOperation interface to ProcessReturn process()
> and add a new ProcessReturn interface with.
> boolean isCorrect();
> int getReturnCode();

Why not simply use a java.util.concurrent.Future implementation?

- Jörg

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> 1. Do you have any mechanism in mind to give feedback on the result of the operation?

Not yet, this is all work in progress. But probably changing the
FileOperation interface to
ProcessReturn process()
and add a new ProcessReturn interface with.
boolean isCorrect();
int getReturnCode();

> 2. Should the FileOperations.getOperations() method return a list of interfaces or a list of implementing classes?

Also not that easy to answer. At the moment I think we should return a
list of interfaces as a concrete implementation might implement
different interfaces.

Ok, no I am on vacation for two weeks. I hope this is sufficient for
now, I'll catch up after my vacation with your current status. I am
looking forward to it :-)

Ciao,
Mario

RE: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks, it helped! I can now retrieve details about the operations. I have two more questions that perhaps you can help me with though I admit that perhaps there is no straight answer.

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi James!
>> The idea is to being able to lookup "abstract" operations. For example the
>> "update" operation and VFS returns a CsvUpdate or SvnUpdate depending on the
>> used implementation.
>> As far as I remeber there is a way to list all file operations. A tool like
>> JCommander than can use reflection to get an idea of which configuration
>> options are available and can present a user a list then.
>>

> It might be nice if these operations classes had BeanInfo classes
> associated with them so that GUI applications could display their
> options a bit easier.

Sure, but I'd prefer using annotations over BeanInfo. This means we have
to switch to Java 1.5, but this might be an option then :-)

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> I am just curious if anyone else has ever used them and how they did it.

I am not sure, this is some of the last things I added (with the help of
a contributor) but didn't finished it, nor documented it :-( *help*

RE: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>.
Yeah, I know what it is; I did read the JavaDocs and I have implemented some FileOperations myself.

Re: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

RE: [VFS] How to use operations

Posted by Frank van der Kleij <kl...@hotmail.com>.