Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/27 02:24:48 UTC

[WebWork2] TODO

The big item on the Incubator TODO list is verifying distribution
rights. The items here are

(1) Verify that the files that have been donated have been updated to
reflect the new ASF copyright.

(2) Verify that for all code included with the distribution that is
not under the Apache license, we have the right to combine with
Apache-licensed code and redistribute.

(3) Verify that all source code distributed by the project is covered
by one or more of the following approved licenses: Apache, BSD,
Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C, MPL 1.1, or something with essentially the
same terms.

----

As to (3), in another thread Rainer cited at least four components
that we need to be address

* JSCalendar for the DatePicker tag

* FCKEditor for the Richtexteditor tag

* Walter Zorns tooltip library for all UI Tags

* tabbedpane.vm Archived UI template

Martin suggested that there may be DOJO equivalents for all four of
these. (Unless tabbed pane is server-side.)

Is anyone planning on checking on these yet?

----

As to (2), if we resolve (3), will there be any other *code* that
would not be under the ASF.

As to (1), I scanned the Java source for copright statements. We seem
to be in pretty good shape. Most of those that have copyright
statements run to "Open Symphony Group". But, there are a few
exceptions.

* Copyright (c) 2005 ePlus Corporation (SessionContextAutowiringInterceptor)
* Copyright (C) NanoContainer Organization (org.apache.struts.action2.pico)
* Copyright (c) 2005 Your Corporation.

Well, the last one, I think we can safely ignore :)

I believe the first one is Jason's employer. If possible, it would be
great if we could get a software grant or CCLA to cover this class.

Meanwhile, has the software grant for "Open Symphony Group" gone on
file yet? I looked but I didn't see it.

-----

As to the package naming, did anyone want to change their vote to
followup on Gabe's suggestion? Otherwise, it looks like the
conventions suggested by Rainer have the most support.

I don't know if we want to bring XWork into the ASF now, later, or
never. Of course, it's a great package and I'm sure we'd love to have
it, if the XWork developers would like to donate and support it.

There would also be the question of whether XWork is something that we
would maintain here, or whether we might want to propose it to the
Jakarta Commons, where it might find a broader audience.

-Ted.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
I thought there was some talk of depreciating the tabbedpane (as
opposed to the
tabbedpannel - ajax component). Pat - do you remember anything about this?

/Ian

Re: JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.

Martin Cooper wrote:

>On 3/28/06, Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com> wrote:
>

>>Alex - I definately agree with you, somewhat ;) - if this is a simple
>>calendar,
>>or other lightweight widget there is no need to involve an ajax library
>>download.  *Any* ajax library download.  But I do think there is a need
>>for an
>>ajax theme when the user is ready to use one.  So how do we deferentiate
>>between these?
>>
>>Joe - I think the UI tags are very library agnostic.  It was reasonably
>>simple
>>to add in the dojo support once we had the <ww:a .../>, <ww:div .../>
>>etc. tags
>>in place.  Dojo just happened to be the initial implementation.  We could
>>definately outline what the core components are (JS widget and ajax
>>widget) and
>>the attributes and functionality that is expected from a tag API
>>standpoint, and
>>then have different implementations of the tag themes for
>>implementation.
>>

>The question here is whether the developer should pick one toolkit and run
>with it, or should be able to pick different widgets that come from
>different toolkits. Most people seem to want to do the latter, but that is
>highly problematic. For one thing, few random combinations of DHTML toolkits
>will work together properly. For another, the browser will end up
>downloading and evaluating much more code than is really necessary,
>impacting performance.

I would definitely agree with you - try to keep within UI theme
boundaries whenever possible, especially when using ajax themes.

>Additionally, when talking about this last month (or
>

>>was it longer now?) we
>>(Ranier, Rene, Alex and  Mike) were all thinking in the same vein.  One
>>thing
>>that we wanted to add was an action/inteface that returned JSON so that
>>any
>>ajax implementation could use the same server implementation to provide
>>list
>>data.
>>

>Yes, a JSON serialiser would be A Good Thing (tm) to have. The hard part,
>though, is getting people to agree on what you encode in JSON and how. ;-)
>Without that, you don't have interoperability.

Perhaps I should have explained a little better.  The action / interface
that was proposed was something like:

    List getData();

So, the information in the list would be highly dependent on the feature
being developed.  Thus, we could use the attribute names and values (and
possibly walking into more complex values in a similar nature).  As the
data is dependent on the feature, and the developer will most likely be
working on the action and the view, I think we would be ok.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
[...]

implementation. Additionally, when talking about this last month (or

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/28/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would prefere something small and working almost everywhere. We have
> even
> > been thinking to add a new AJAX theme based on lighter solutions (a la
> > prototype).
>
> Heh, and I considered Prototype too heavy (around 50K) to adopt for my
> project...

Prototype's heaviness is in its feet - it will quite happily stomp all over
any other JavaScript code you have on the page. It's really a very badly
behaved chunk of code.

--
Martin Cooper

Michael.

Re: JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/28/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe, I mostly agree with you. What I've been trying to say is that most of
> the user will not like to have a big dependency on Dojo  for simple
> functionality like a calendar component.

The "size" of the dependency on Dojo is _completely_ up to you. Unlike the
other DHTML toolkits out there, you can very easily build a custom profile
that includes only what you need, and almost none of the code you don't
need.

The minimal profile of Dojo is very small. Right now, it looks like WW uses
the kitchen sink profile, which is pretty much everything Dojo has. I can
understand why you would not want to load all of that for just a calendar.
But you don't have to. That is the beauty of the Dojo profile system.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/12/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> (Yeah, I'm very late catching up...)
>
> On 3/28/06, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
>
> > >I had very bad experiences with Dojo so far, and I brought this into
> > >discussion on ww forums. I wouldn't encourage moving to Dojo, because
> > the
> > >browser support is still lacking, and from the feeling we got from
> > their ml
> > >some of the old browsers, that are still used (f.e. IE 5.5) will
> > be  missing
> > >in the next versions.
> >
> > If you believe http://thecounter.com/stats/2006/March/browser.php , IE
> > 5.5 only has 2% market share.  I wouldn't blame a project for not
> > spending a large amount of resources supporting that.
>

> It's not just lack of market share. IE 5.5 has some serious deficiencies
> when it comes to DHTML and DOM manipulation. So the question becomes one of
> how much effort do you want to put in to support a minimally used browser,
> and negatively impact performance on more modern browsers at the same time.
> IMHO, the Dojo folks made the right decision.

Important Correction: I mis-spoke here. It's not IE 5.5 that has the
problems, it's IE 5.0. And even more importantly, Dojo *does* support IE 5.5,
but does not support IE 5.0. So if anyone has been having issues with Dojo
and IE 5.5, be sure to submit bug reports via Trac, and they'll be
addressed.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
I have some other things going on over the next few weeks that will mesh
nicely with documenting how to do this.

/Ian

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Hey there,

I share Alex' opinion on DOJO. We should not add to many dependencies for
"core" components into the themes for now.
DOJO is still quite unstable and we should wait until their basis gets a
bit more stable.

Regarding the other AJAX themes, there were plans already to rename the
current "ajax" theme to "dojo" and provide a new theme "prototype" based
on prototype and script.aculo.us.
A third ajax enabled theme was discussed to include the Yahoo components.

But these developments are still in progress or on hold til now, cause
of the webwork 2.2.2 release.

cheers,
Rainer

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
pls see inlined....

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Joe Germuska wrote:
> At 7:39 AM -0500 3/27/06, Ted Husted wrote:
>> Walter Zorns tooltip library for all UI Tags
>> * Is there a Dojo equivalent?
>
> I'm pretty sure there is not.

I haven't looked at the Walter Zorn tooltips, but Dojo does have a
tooltip widget:

http://dojotoolkit.org/~dylan/dojo/tests/widget/test_Tooltip.html

Is that what would be needed?

L.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
This is a good followup to what Craig is saying.  I accidentally sent
it to Joe
instead of this list - hopefully got it right this time :)

It's not a JS API, but WW does have something similar in the theme's for the
tags.

At the moment we have a dojo theme, but Ranier was going to introduce a
prototype/scripactulous theme.  Some on the users list didn't like to
introduce
dojo into pages that only needed a date picker/WYSIWYG editor - and hence the
current implementation (I did add a dojo implementation, but at the current
version of dojo this is a little flaky).

We had a discussion a few months back, and agreed on certain standard
components
that each theme should implement.  What we need to be carefull of, is ensuring
that each theme implementation covers this same functionality.  One case of
this is that the prototype currently does not offer events similar to
dojo - so
it would need to be clearly documentated that you cannot easy move
between these
themes.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 9:59 AM -0500 3/27/06, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>On Mon, March 27, 2006 9:22 am, Joe Germuska said:
>>  I wonder if there's a way to generalize an "API" out of these so that
>>  we are less bound to an implementation.  Certainly, a date picker or
>>  rich text field which ultimately just ends up setting a value of  a
>>  single form field should be not too hard to generalize, although I
>>  haven't looked at all the models for integrating JS widgets into a
>>  page neatly.  I guess there are also issues of triggering the
>>  widgets, etc.
>
>Generalize an API out of GUI widgets?
>
>Where's Craig with the JSF plug when you need him?!? :-) LOL

:)

But what I'm talking about here is a JavaScript API -- basically
something that manages the discovery process for a widget
implementation, like JAXP does for XML parsing and transformation.

maybe i'll float this question on the Dojo list...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 3/27/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/27/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/27/06, Gabe <gj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > for the tag prefix, I am actually thinking "html" might be best.
> > > While Struts Action 2 is supposed to be a "revolution" in order
> > > for us to keep the community behind it, we ought to make it
> > > seem as much of an "evolution" as possible. (Otherwise, why
> > > wouldn't a struts developer look at this as the opportunity to try
> > > something completely different?) Therefore, I think using html
> > > for the ww form tags etc would be ideal.
> >
> > I like "html" prefix especially if the taglib could be portable to,
> > say, SAF 1.3 or even to plain JSP environment.
>
> Noted.

As we all know, the prefix that is actually used is up to the individual
developer, but most of them tend to copy our examples :-).

If I were a Struts 1.x user, and saw the "html" prefix on SAF 2.x tags, I
would expect the functionality to be fundamentally similar.  If that's what
ends up happening, then this is a pretty good suggestion.  But I fear it
would be confusing if the tags are radically different (i.e. improved :-).

ISTR there was also an idea floating around some of the early discussions
that SAF 2.x might want to support the Struts 1.x tags as a "legacy"
library, similar in spirit to creating a compatibility layer to talk to
Struts 1.x action classes.  If that path was followed, it would make more
sense to keep "html" for this library and use something else for the new
one.

> I suggest to analyze all tags and to deprecate everything that is
> > already supported in JSTL 1.0. WW features that duplicate features of
> > JSTL 1.1 should be considered "half-deprecated" since a lot of people
> > still use Tomcat4 (my provider quoted me $50 for upgrade to Tomcat5,
> > nah). JSP 2.0 has new features like resource messages support, SAF2
> > should promote using these more generic J2EE features instead of
> > proprietary tags and property files.
>
> The tags are listed here, Michael, if you'd lke to run through them.
>
> * http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/Tags
>
> The UI tags are quite a bit different that the Action 1 taglibs. Aside
> from generating markup, many also observe a stylesheet, giving them
> capabilities beyond what is offered with JSTL alone. The UI tags are
> also value-stack aware, allowing expressions that are not supported by
> standard JSTL. Though, I  understand that the UI tags are JSTL aware
> and be mixed-and-matched with JSTL tags, as needed.
>

> > SAF2 should also make clear what platform it targets. Stripes, for
> > example, uses Java5 specifically for annotations and other internal
> > niceties like typed collections. Should SAF2 target JDK1.4 or Java5?
> > Should it target JSP1.2+JSTL1.0 or JSP2.0? I think that JSP2.0 is a
> > better target and JSP pages are much cleaner, but there should be
> > compatibility package for JSP1.2, kind of like Tomcat5 has for JDK1.4.
>
> Webwork 2.2 targetrs JDK 1.4, and I would suggest we stay that course,
> since I believe it it what most of the committers, including myself,
> are using in production. The UI tags look and feel like ordinary JSP
> tags, under the covers, the markups is being created with FreeMarker
> templates. (See same reference.)
>
> Meanwhlie, some work is being done on Java 5 extensions. I believe
> Shale is doing the same.
>
> * http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/J2SE+5+Support

Shale's current annotations are described here[1] -- see subpackages
"managed", "register", and "view".  However, most of them are pretty
specific to JSF at the moment.

One thing I'd also like to look at is integrating XWork interceptor stacks
directly into Shale, at both the local (calling a particular action method)
and global (in the application controller filter, where you can currently
customize the "all requests" processing with Commons Chain) locations.  If
that works out, then it should be possible to use any XWork-based
annotations directly.

In another thread, there was talk about using a consistent approach to
> annotations between Shale, Action 2, and Stecks (Action 1 -
> http://www.realsolve.co.uk/site/strecks/).
>
> Though, I think ideas for new developmen tmight better be discussed
> once the codebase clears the Incubator.
>
> -Ted

Craig

[1]
http://struts.apache.org/struts-shale/shale-tiger/apidocs/overview-summary.html

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/27/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I suggest to analyze all tags and to deprecate everything that is
> > already supported in JSTL 1.0.
>
> The tags are listed here, Michael, if you'd lke to run through them.
>
> * http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/Tags
>
> The UI tags are quite a bit different that the Action 1 taglibs. Aside
> from generating markup, many also observe a stylesheet, giving them
> capabilities beyond what is offered with JSTL alone.

I did not quite get that. Do you mean CSS stylesheet? I started
reading the WebWork book, but then put it aside, shame on me. So I am
not versed in WebWork yet. Anyway, CSS support is not a problem in
SAF1 tags either.

> The UI tags are
> also value-stack aware, allowing expressions that are not supported by
> standard JSTL.

I see. Considering that ValueStack is just a tree-like object
containing beans, I would prefer a very small set of tags to
put/remove ValueStack to a certain scope, and then access its
properties using standard JSTL expressions, if this is possible. I
thought that OGNL expressions are evaluated on a whole page like
JSP2.0 expressions, not within specific tags only. I guess I was
wrong. Would be great if OGNL expressions could be used anywhere on a
page, so I had to use as few WW-specific tags as possible.

> The UI tags look and feel like ordinary JSP
> tags, under the covers, the markups is being created with FreeMarker
> templates. (See same reference.)

I hope that plain JSP is still an option. I will try to find time to
finish the book ;-) Thanks for the heads up.

Michael.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

On 3/27/06, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
> At 7:39 AM -0500 3/27/06, Ted Husted wrote:
> >tabbedpane.vm Archived UI template
> >* Is this a server-side compoonent, or is there a Dojo equivalent?
>
> I'm not sure what this is -- is it this?
> http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_TabPane.html
>
> I've used Dojo tabs in an application satisfactorily.  A
> rearchitecture of the implementation introduced some problems, so I
> forked the original implementation into my own widget package and
> soldiered on.  I'm not enough of a JS/DHTML whiz to understand why my
> page looked wrong in the new tab implementation, but it was an
> awfully complicated page.

Would be great to see an example of how tabbed panes work with forms
and buttons inside the panels.

Michael.

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 7:39 AM -0500 3/27/06, Ted Husted wrote:
>STATUS update
>----
>
>DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS - LICENSING
>
>JSCalendar for the DatePicker tag
>* Rene will contact author about license change
>* There may also be a Dojo equivalent

Dojo has a date picker:
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_DatePicker.html

it is somewhat less fully featured than JSCalendar.  I haven't used
it in an app.  JSCalendar has worked well for me in other apps, but I
haven't gotten very deeply into how it works nor have I investigated
integrating it with JSP tags.

>FCKEditor for the Richtexteditor tag
>* Is there a Dojo equivalent?

Dojo does have a rich text editor:
http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html
http://blog.dojotoolkit.org/2005/11/07/new-editor-widget-explained
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_Editor.html

I've actually not yet had cause to apply a RTE in an application.

>Walter Zorns tooltip library for all UI Tags
>* Is there a Dojo equivalent?

I'm pretty sure there is not.

>tabbedpane.vm Archived UI template
>* Is this a server-side compoonent, or is there a Dojo equivalent?

I'm not sure what this is -- is it this?
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/test_TabPane.html

I've used Dojo tabs in an application satisfactorily.  A
rearchitecture of the implementation introduced some problems, so I
forked the original implementation into my own widget package and
soldiered on.  I'm not enough of a JS/DHTML whiz to understand why my
page looked wrong in the new tab implementation, but it was an
awfully complicated page.

I wonder if there's a way to generalize an "API" out of these so that
we are less bound to an implementation.  Certainly, a date picker or
rich text field which ultimately just ends up setting a value of  a
single form field should be not too hard to generalize, although I
haven't looked at all the models for integrating JS widgets into a
page neatly.  I guess there are also issues of triggering the
widgets, etc.

Hope this helps.
	Joe

--
Joe Germuska

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by tm jee <tm...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Ted & Friends,

I could contact the author of FCKEditor and Walter Zorns tooltip library about a license change or possible dual licensing. Will post back when I got any information.

rgds

---------------------------------

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Gabe <gj...@yahoo.com>.
Ted,

What you have written below is not what I have suggested. I suggested:
 - com.opensymphony.webwork package -> org.apache.struts.web
 - WebWork* classes -> Web*
 - WebWork in comments, documentation -> Struts Action 2
 - webwork. as the configuration properties prefix -> struts.
 - ww: tag prefix -> web

However, personally for the tag prefix, I am actually thinking "html" might be best. While Struts Action 2 is supposed to be a "revolution" in order for us to keep the community behind it, we ought to make it seem as much of an "evolution" as possible. (Otherwise, why wouldn't a struts developer look at this as the opportunity to try something completely different?) Therefore, I think using html for the ww form tags etc would be ideal.

I am not for naming that would keep webwork in any of the class names / file names.

Thanks,
Gabe

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Re: [WebWork2] TODO

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Ted, others,

I would volunteer to ask for license changes at least for jscalendar,
but I can do the others as well - if there is no one around who has
existing links to the said projects and / or their representatives
making it easier to "get through" (which I do not have explicitely).

Regards,
Rene