Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2019/05/20 14:54:40 UTC

4.1 DB Import impressions

Wanted to take a moment and say kudos to the folks who did the "DB Import" dialog in Cayenne 4.1! :) I just switched a fairly big project from 4.0 to 4.1.B2. The project had 3 models with Maven-based cdbimport configurations, some of them with dozens of rule entries. It worked like a charm, and the team likes how visual it has become.

Some feedback on a few minor issues that I encountered, that we can hopefully address before 4.1 GA:

* Project becomes dirty when I switch to "DB Import" tab. And then again, when I run the import and there are no changes. Of course there are no changes, but the Modeler tells you that there are.

* "Reverse Engineering Result" dialog is not centered. It is always in the lower right corner.

* Maybe we should rename "Reverse Engineering Result" dialog to "DB Import Result" for consistency?

* Result dialog buttons are currently called "Revert" and "Ok". I suggest "Cancel" and "Apply" instead. As "Revert" implies we've already changed something.

* When I set "Skip relationship loading" to "on", and click "Run Import", the relationships are still loaded (and then discarded). While the outcome is 100% correct, this makes things very slow. So perhaps we can skip loading if "Skip relationship loading" is true.

* It is a bit confusing at first as to what should I do to make DB Import work (the answer: 1. configure connection > 2. refresh schema > 3. create rules > 4. run import). I think we can make it more intuitive by moving "Configure Connection" and "Refresh DB Schema" in a new toolbar on top of "Database schema" panel, and moving "Run Import" to the left on the main toolbar. I suspect Swing will get in the way of this idea ... But if this is a low-hanging fruit, it might help someone.

* Make "DB Configuration" and "DB Schema" white panels vertically expandable when the modeler window is resize. As sometimes there are lots of rules and tables. This nice to have, but not critical.

Andrus