Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de> on 2012/06/05 18:28:19 UTC

[ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom permission

I tried to build a working custom partition implementation for last days. I started with 1.5.7 but then found out that the working example I intended to base on does no longer compile because of some API changes. Because of this I switched to 1.5.5 and managed to get the example running (not that difficult, I have to admit ;-))

Unfortunately I don't have enough background knowledge to be able to extend the HelloWorldPartition example.

I'm willing to learn and invest time but need expert advice if I should continue with 1.5 or 2.0. In addition I will need some guidance. In exchange for that I can offer you to update the docs for custom partitions.

Re: [ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom permission [solved]

Posted by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de>.
>> I believe I can use the released milestone 7 because parallel reads / writes don't exist in my scenario. Or are there any other issues I should keep an eye on ?
> You sure can use M7

Thanks for this confirmation

Re: [ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom permission

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 6/8/12 6:13 AM, Garbage a écrit :
> Am 07.06.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny<el...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Le 6/6/12 6:39 AM, Garbage a écrit
>>> 1. Can M7 be considered stable enough for giving it a chance in a productive system?
>> No. I'm sad to say that but M7 still have a huge bug that we are tracking. Not that you'll won't get a working server, but in some cases where concurrent writes and searches are done, you are very likely to get some failures during the searches. More than that, the database can get corrupted.
>>
>> We exactly know what is going wrong here, and we already have a fix, but this is in a branch, and we are currenly merging this branch into trunk, which is all but easy.
>>
>> M8 will solve this issue, and we expect to get it released ASAP. In the mean time, you can use the directory/apacheds/branches/apacheds-txns branch whch solve the issue.
>>> I only need ApacheDS to sit there and wait for incoming connections and forward them to my custom partition. There is no need for replication and all the other fancy stuff ApacheDS is able to do.
>> You can still work on the trunk, until M8 get released.
>>
>> Just keep tuned, we are doing our best to get back to some solid and reliable server soon.
>>
> I believe I can use the released milestone 7 because parallel reads / writes don't exist in my scenario. Or are there any other issues I should keep an eye on ?
You sure can use M7.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom permission

Posted by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de>.
Am 06.06.2012 um 05:16 schrieb Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>:

> Definitively go for 2.0. The API has changed a lot, but this is (hopefully) for the best.
>
> Sadly, the documentation is not following the code modification pace :/
>
> Do you have any specific question ?

Thanks for that information, this might be the explanation why I got lost in the transition from 1.5.5 to 2.0: I simply didn't understand what changes were to see. So I will head for 2.0, I expected that answer ;-)

But I still have these questions:

1. Can M7 be considered stable enough for giving it a chance in a productive system?

I only need ApacheDS to sit there and wait for incoming connections and forward them to my custom partition. There is no need for replication and all the other fancy stuff ApacheDS is able to do.

2. Where should I start off in order to create a partition that uses data from my java objects and sends it back to the client ?

Some details to explain what I'm after: I need to integrate a google search appliance with at least three different directories. One is based on LDAP, one can be accessed via a web service and the other has a SQL interface. I discussed this topic on stackoverflow and even posted a question on the developer list of ApacheDS, back then I intended to use an interceptor but now I believe that a custom partition will be a much better solution. The easiest way to integrate these directories will be a LDAP interface because the GSA is able to connect to LDAP, the queries can be configured.
The main idea is to write a partition that listens on access to ou=user and answers to queries that follow this pattern: (username=johndoe). It should then deliver the two attributes distinguishedName and mail.
In a second step the GSA will send a query that looks like this: (member=distinguishedName). The expected answer will then be a list of dns of groups the user belongs to. This information will be delivered by my java code and can be considered a blackbox. Just think of it returning a string array of groups in ldap format.

Re: [ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom permission

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [ApacheDS] lost with decision where to implement custom partition

Posted by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de>.

Sorry, I either mistyped or became a victim of auto correction: I meant PARTITION