Posted to community@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2002/10/28 15:17:40 UTC

Website questions (Was: Jakarta++)

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Ted Husted wrote:

> I think a lot of us have been talking past each other on the
> various lists, and so I thought I would try and summarize the
> situation as I understand it.

Who is the web architect for the Apache site? How will its navigational
structure handle N more top level projects? It's already maxxed out the
recommended number of selections in a list. And Apache-Commons still to be
added.

As projects are promoted, how will the front site avoid turning into the
Jakarta front page? 23 projects and many of these are merely umbrellas.

And to the Jakarta PMC, when will Jakarta be mirrored? I can't seem to
find a mirror for the downloads that doesn't lead back to Jakarta or have
an empty page.

Hen

Re: Website questions (Was: Jakarta++)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> And to the Jakarta PMC, when will Jakarta be mirrored? I can't seem to
> find a mirror for the downloads that doesn't lead back to Jakarta or have
> an empty page.

It will be mirrored once the mirrors CAN mirror it... I'm having a hard time
to pull XML and Jakarta off daedalus onto nagoya because each project uses a
different layout for their distribution binaries (see my mail to
mirrors@apache of a couple of days ago about my configuration files, it's
pretty complicated)...

I made a proposal on infrastructure to solve this (I believe it went through
yesterday), and we need to see how it goes. If someone is interested, please
let me know, or subscribe to infrastructure@apache.org.

Once a reorganization and a standardization of our "dist" directories is
achieved, it'll be easier for mirrors to download this or that part of the
ASF downloads "offering", and therefore both be more flexible on how we
distribute files, and less intrusive on daedalus' bandwidth...

    Pier