Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Stevens <mi...@iii.co.uk> on 2001/04/26 13:03:07 UTC

yet another 2.0b3 problem

Hi.

I've got some code:

--cut here--
<ul>
[$ foreach $item (qw(a b c
 e f

g h

)) $]
<li>[- print OUT $item -]</li>
[$ endforeach $]
</ul>
--cut here--

which under embperl 1.3 produces the following html:

--cut here--
<ul>
<li>a</li>

<li>b</li>

<li>c</li>

<li>d</li>

<li>e</li>

<li>f</li>

<li>g</li>

<li>h</li>
</ul>
--cut here--

But under the 2.0b3 we're running, it produces:

--cut here--
<ul>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
<li>abcdefgh</li>
</ul>
--cut here-

Which seems odd to me.

Michael

http://www.iii.co.uk
Interactive Investor International is a leading UK Internet personal
finance service that provides individuals with the capability to identify,
compare, monitor and buy online a number of financial products and services.

Interactive Investor Trading Limited, a subsidiary of Interactive Investor
International plc, is regulated by the SFA.

Re: 2.0b3 problems

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

I have resolved most of the problems (and a few more). I send a new version
to Mike. Anybodyelse can get the corrected version from the CVS (use branch
Embperl2c). Here is what I have done:

> Putting
>
> [- # foo -]
>
> in a file works under embperl 1.3, but under this version
> gives an error. Replacing "# foo" with some code that
> does something works fine.

works now

> On a related note, I'm also having problems
> with some of my old code that does:
>
> <[+ $element +]> to generate html tags from within
> code.

fixed

> One contains:
>
>   [- chdir "/export/home/michaels/public_html/"; -]
>   [- Execute('header.epl'); -]
>   foo

I am not quite sure if this is fixed now. I don't get the error here. If you
get the same error with new version, please try

>   [- Execute('/export/home/michaels/public_html/header.epl'); -]
>   foo

instead. Does this change anything ? If yes, do you have more files called
header.epl ?

> We've found out that a [- on the first line of an epl file seems to be
> ignored.

Only Execute didn't worked on the first line. Works now correctly.

> * POD Seems to need to be put within embperl comments

pod works in [- -] too. It didn't worked when you wrote [-=pod without an
newline, this works now too, but it is necessary to have a =cut at the end
of your pod block. Putting pod's it [# #] is a little bit faster.

> * Calling Execute inside HTML tags does not work properly

This is still true. Workaround is

[- Execute ({inputfile => 'whatever.epl', output => \$out}) -]
<tag [+ $out +]>

> * Line counting sometimes seems to go awry - errors often reported on
lines
> beyond the end of a file

I don't have seen this, unless the Perl interpreter can detect the error
only after the end of the file. This is a problem of Perl. Anyway if you can
provide an example, I take a look at it.

> * Unsure what this error means: ERR: 49: Line 0: Endtag 'DocumentFraq'
> doesn't match starttag ''if', starttag should be 'DocumentFraq''

This mean that a [$endif$] is missing at the end of your document.

> [$ foreach $item (qw(a b c
> )) $]
> <li>[- print OUT $item -]</li>
> [$ endforeach $]
> </ul>

print to OUT inside a loop doesn't work correctly yet. Use [+ +] instead:

<li>[+ $item +]</li>

that's also faster. I put this on the todo list, but I don't expect it to
fix it very soon.

Gerald

Re: 2.0b3 problems

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

I currently working on all that issuses you send me. Some of them may
already solved in my development version here by some fixes I made today
morning. The others I hope to sort out this afternoon, so you will get an
update later or today morning.

Gerald