Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sree deepya <md...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/28 18:55:35 UTC

hdfs-doubt

Hi sir/madam,

I am SreeDeepya,doing Mtech in IIIT.I am working on a project named cost
effective and scalable storage server.Our main goal of the project is to be
able to store images in a server and the data can be upto petabytes.For that
we are using HDFS.I am new to hadoop and am just learning about it.
    Can you please clarify some of the doubts I have.

At present we configured one datanode and one namenode.Jobtracker is running
on namenode and tasktracker on datanode.Now namenode also acts as
client.Like we are writing programs in the namenode to store or retrieve
images.My doubts are

1.Can we put the client and namenode in two separate systems?

2.Can we access the images from the datanode of hadoop cluster from a
machine in which hdfs is not there?

3.At present we may not have data upto petabytes but will be in gigabytes.Is
hadoop still efficient in storing mega and giga bytes of data????

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,
SreeDeepya

Re: hdfs-doubt

Posted by Billy Pearson <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>.
Your client doesn't have to be on the  namenode it can be on any system that
can access the namenode and the datanodes.
Hadoop uses 64MB block to store files so file sizes >= 64mb should be as
efficient as 128MB or 1GB file sizes.

more reading and information here:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopPresentations
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopArticles

Billy

"sree deepya" <md...@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:258814520903281055u540dc36do71aa26403dd0318b@mail.gmail.com...

Re: hdfs-doubt

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.
It seems that either NameNode or DataNode is not started.
You can take a look at log files, and paste related lines here.

2009/3/29 deepya <m_...@yahoo.co.in>:

> Thanks,
>
> I have another doubt.I just want to run the examples and see how it works.I
> am trying to copy the file from local file system to hdfs using the command
>
>  bin/hadoop fs -put conf input
>
> It is giving the following error.
> 09/03/29 05:50:54 INFO hdfs.DFSClient: Exception in createBlockOutputStream
> java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
> 09/03/29 05:50:54 INFO hdfs.DFSClient: Abandoning block
> blk_-5733385806393158149_1053
>
> I have only one datanode in my cluster and my replication factor is also
> 1(as configured in the conf file in hadoop-site.xml).Can you please provide
> the solution for this.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> SreeDeepya
>

> sree deepya wrote:
>>
>> Hi sir/madam,
>>
>> I am SreeDeepya,doing Mtech in IIIT.I am working on a project named cost
>> effective and scalable storage server.Our main goal of the project is to
>> be
>> able to store images in a server and the data can be upto petabytes.For
>> that
>> we are using HDFS.I am new to hadoop and am just learning about it.
>>     Can you please clarify some of the doubts I have.
>>

>> At present we configured one datanode and one namenode.Jobtracker is
>> running
>> on namenode and tasktracker on datanode.Now namenode also acts as
>> client.Like we are writing programs in the namenode to store or retrieve
>> images.My doubts are
>>
>> 1.Can we put the client and namenode in two separate systems?
>>
>> 2.Can we access the images from the datanode of hadoop cluster from a
>> machine in which hdfs is not there?
>>
>> 3.At present we may not have data upto petabytes but will be in
>> gigabytes.Is
>> hadoop still efficient in storing mega and giga bytes of data????
>>

>> Thanking you,
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>> SreeDeepya

M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ