Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tony Melia <to...@tmitc.com.au> on 2005/11/12 07:04:29 UTC

Spamassassin Distro

Hi, I am looking at setting up a new linux box dedicated to spamassassin via
amavisd.  I am wondering what the best distro is to do this on, is there a
particular distro you guys can recommend?  I am not looking for an
out-of-the-box solution, but one that spam cleaning is almost native to!

Regards,
Tony

Re: Spamassassin Distro

Posted by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at>.
On Samstag, 12. November 2005 07:04 Tony Melia wrote:
>  I am wondering what the best distro is to do this on

Such questions usually start flame wars. Simply use what you know. We
use SUSE, because we know the glitches there, and they tend to work.
Now, since opensuse.org started, they have bleeding edge versions of
all packages, which is nice if you like to have the newest stuff.

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11

Re: Spamassassin Distro

Posted by "Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.
Tony Melia wrote:
> Hi, I am looking at setting up a new linux box dedicated to spamassassin
> via amavisd.  I am wondering what the best distro is to do this on, is
> there a particular distro you guys can recommend?  I am not looking for
> an out-of-the-box solution, but one that spam cleaning is almost native to!

I don't think such a "beast" exists :)

What would probably make sense is to use a distro that:
- you are comfortable with
- that is easy to keep up to date
- that has a reasonable release cycle

Something like RHE or one of the clones (Centos for example) would make
sense, or maybe Debian.

Avoid Fedora - it's release cycle is far too short for a server OS

Avoid distros with odd notions about package management and updates -
servers should be "up" all the time (or as close to it as possible), so
you really do not want to have to recompile half the OS just to update
one or two minor elements

Just my two cents ...

Michele

--