Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Wort <ti...@pobox.com> on 2002/11/04 05:19:57 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Virus warning THIS IS A HOAX

This message is a Hoax, I strongly recommend you research this stuff
before forwarding to the world in general.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

jdbgmgr.exe is the java debugger manager and IS installed when Windows is
installed.

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Tony Fortunato wrote:

> A virus has been passed onto us by a contact.Our address book maybe in turn
> affected.
> Since you are in my address book,there is a good chance you will find it in
> your
> computor too.
> The virus(called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus
> systems.
> The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.It is sent
> automatically
> by messenger and by the address book whether or not you sent e-mails to your
> contacts.
> Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.
> YOU MUST DO THIS
> 1.GO TO START,FIND OR SEARCH OPTION
> 2.IN THE FILE/FOLDERS OPTION,TYPE THE NAME JDBGMGR.EXE
> 3BE SURE YOU SEARCH YOUR C DRIVE AND ALL SUB-FOLDERS AND ANY
> OTHER DRIVES YOU MAY HAVE
> 4.CLICK"FIND NOW"
> 5. THE VIRUS HAS A TEDDY BEAR ICON WITH THE NAME JDBGMGR.EXE.
>     DO NOT OPEN IT
> 6 GO TO EDIT ON THE MENU BAR CHOOSE SELECT ALL TO HIGHLIGHT THE FILE
>    WITHOUT OPENING IT
> 7.now go to file on the menu bar and select delete.it will go to the Recycle
> Bin
>
> IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
> BOOK SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS.
> To do this:
> a)Open a new e-mail message
> b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
> c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
> d) copy this message....enter subject...paste to e-mail send.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience
>
> Hope this got to you in time
>

> Regards
>
> Tony Fortunato

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=        Inkling Research Inc.      =
=    Tim.Wort@InklingResearch.com   =
=        Tim.Wort@pobox.com         =
=        Eschew Obfuscation         =

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Virus warning THIS IS A HOAX

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.
Tom,
you never installed windows 9x with bios virus detection active?
windows is a virus. ~g~

Posted by Tom Ray <to...@blazestudios.com>.