Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Taylor Mathewson <ta...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/21 00:18:41 UTC

Flash Served from Tapestry Context Not Playing

Hi all,

I found a possible problem and a workaround, and I just want to put it up
here in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

I have a Flex3 element embedded in a page.  It would load, but it wouldn't
run.  We stripped it down to a very simple app (hello world), but it still
wouldn't run.

Right clicking on the flash element showed the problem: the "Play" item was
unchecked on the flash player context menu.  Selecting it would run the flex
piece as expected, but reloading the page, it would again not play.

Accessing the swf directly yielded strange results.

Going through a standard path (e.g.
http://localhost:8080/appName/swf/myFlex.swf) worked fine but going through
Tapestry's context (e.g.
http://localhost:8080/appName/assets/ctx/631103cab3b12068/swf/myFlex.swf)
would load the component but not play it.

This offers with one option; link to all flash components directly.
However, the tapestry context urls present a nice solution to avoiding
cached older versions of flash elements, without forcing a client to
re-download on every view.

The other solution I found was to disable GZIP on
application/x-shockwave-flash by contributing that content type to the
responsecompressionanalyzer

I'm not sure why this happens, and it seems not to happen with
flash-authored pieces, as opposed to flex-authored, even when they are
published with the same player version etc... and why it happens only in the
tapestry context path (according to LiveHTTP, both had gzip compression, but
the tapestry context had a content-length about 25 bytes higher).

Just hoping to save others the couple hours of "wtf" I just went through.

Thanks,
Taylor

Re: Flash Served from Tapestry Context Not Playing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Then that should definitely be the default.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Flash Served from Tapestry Context Not Playing

Posted by Ben Gidley <be...@gidley.co.uk>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship