Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kin-Man Chung <Ki...@Eng.Sun.COM> on 2002/06/03 23:48:03 UTC

JspException in jasper 2?

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspException seems to be serving no purpose,
and it conflicts with javax.servlet.jsp.JspException.

Any objections to my removing it?

BTW, it also exists in tomcat 4/jasper.

Re: JspException in jasper 2?

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Kin-Man Chung wrote:

> org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspException seems to be serving no purpose,
> and it conflicts with javax.servlet.jsp.JspException.
>
> Any objections to my removing it?
>
> BTW, it also exists in tomcat 4/jasper.

I was just going to ask the same thing :-)

Also - o.a.jasper.core.JasperException - never used ( exept in a logger
test that can never be true ).

The Exception handling is a big spaghetti - it would be really great to
clean it up. Separating the runtime exceptions for jasper ( or just using
JspException or ServletException ) and having a separate thing for
the translator would be nice, but may require some regexp tricks.

Close to exceptions is logging - moving to commons-logging would also
be a big step forward.

( I finally got a bit of time to take a look at jasper2 -
I'll send more comments when I finish but Exceptions and logging are
probably easy to improve and will clean up a lot )

Costin