Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2006/03/21 09:20:11 UTC

[Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
do a formal vote.
As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).

So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
- Start code freeze on the 31st of March
- Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

Please cast your votes
Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes

+1

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez
http://bluxte.net

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes

+1

-David

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
>do a formal vote.
>As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
>delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
>So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
>- Start code freeze on the 31st of March
>- Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
>Please cast your votes
>Carsten

+1.  Hopefully nothing bad will happen.

Ralph

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes
> Carsten

+1

/Daniel

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz said the following on 21-03-2006 09:46:
> Le 21 mars 06 à 09:20, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :
>
>> ...So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
>> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
>> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)..

+1

Bye, Helma

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 21 mars 06 à 09:20, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> ...So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)..

+1

-Bertrand

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 21/mar/06, alle ore 09:20, Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:

> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes

+1

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei
Blog: http://agylen.com/

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 21 Mar 2006, at 08:20, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

+1 please!

	Pier

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
>do a formal vote.
>As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
>delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
>So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
>- Start code freeze on the 31st of March
>- Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
>Please cast your votes
>Carsten

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * Reinhard Poetz:
>

>>The PMC has to vote about the actual software artifact but there
>>is no rule that we have to vote that we will do a release. After
>>the many  attempts to do  a 2.1.9 release  in the past,  I think
>>that Carsten  wanted to be sure  that this time everybody  is on
>>board.
>

> Just to  be clear: I  think Carsten  is doing  a valuable  work as
> release manager.  It's just that I  feel this vote useless, I mean
> just go ahead.  We might vote once the release is tagged.

Then the PMC *has to* vote.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Reinhard Poetz:

http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Pier Fumagalli:

> On 21 Mar 2006, at 17:42, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
> > * Carsten Ziegeler:
> >
> > > Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we
> > > should do a formal vote.
> >
> > +0  I don't  see  the  point of  voting  for  such an  obvious
> > decision.
> >
> > Is there a rule requiring new releases to be first approved by
> > a vote?  I  mean new releases should be  automatic.  IMHO it's
> > not very useful to cast any  vote for a maintenance release in
> > a stable branch.
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/devinfo/releasing.html

This document states that we have  to vote once the new version is
tagged, to  be sure that there  is no showstopper.  So  we are not
applying the rule, right?
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 21 mars 06 à 18:42, Jean-Baptiste Quenot a écrit :
>
>> ...Is there a  rule requiring new releases to be  first approved by a
>> vote?...
>
> Maybe not, but we've been doing it this way for about 25 years and it
> works ;-)
>
> Seriously, making sure we agree on release plans (code freeze dates
> etc.) is a Good Thing - I've seen several projects arguing or
> disagreeing on releases, so it's certainly good to be a bit careful
> and to make sure everyone is on the same page.
>
> It doesn't cost much and there are at least  "social" benefits.
>
> So, +1 for voting on release plans ;-)

+0.5 :-P

Sylvain

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/06, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:

<snip/>

The other reason for a vote that hasn't come up is that there is a
code freeze involved: the release manager is about to ask that
everyone stop checking in code for some period of time.  To me, that
would seem to justify a vote in and of itself... ?

--
Peter Hunsberger

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Thanks for correcting me. :-)

That was not my intention - your email seemed to be the right place for
me to answer!

Carsten

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Thanks for correcting me. :-)

Ralph

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> My 2 cents.  The paragraph below my signature is from
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html. I don't see anything here
> that indicates exactly when the vote should be taken.  Common sense
> might tell you that you should only vote after the package has been
> built and tested.  As long as I've been here votes seem to be taken to
> build the package and lazy consensus is used to approve the package -
> i.e. the formal release is delayed only if errors occur during testing.
> Our assumption is that you are frequently building and testing the
> current SVN so the formal release package shouldn't be a whole lot
> different.
>
> It would be rather pointless for the release manager to build a package
> and then start a vote only to then be told that a bunch of stuff needs
> to be fixed.

Right :)

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My 2 cents.  The paragraph below my signature is from
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html. I don't see anything here
that indicates exactly when the vote should be taken.  Common sense
might tell you that you should only vote after the package has been
built and tested.  As long as I've been here votes seem to be taken to
build the package and lazy consensus is used to approve the package -
i.e. the formal release is delayed only if errors occur during testing.
Our assumption is that you are frequently building and testing the
current SVN so the formal release package shouldn't be a whole lot
different.

It would be rather pointless for the release manager to build a package
and then start a vote only to then be told that a bunch of stuff needs
to be fixed.

Ralph

        Votes on Package Releases

Votes on whether a package is ready to be released follow a format
similar to majority approval
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval> --
except that the decision is officially determined solely by whether at
least three +1 votes were registered. *Releases may not be vetoed.*
Generally the community will table the vote to release if anyone
identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate decision,
once three or more positive votes have been garnered, lies with the
individual serving as release manager. The specifics of the process may
vary from project to project, but the 'minimum of three +1 votes' rule
is universal.

Re: Voting on releases? (was: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo schrieb:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Maybe not, but we've been doing it this way for about 25 years and it
>>> works ;-)
>>>
>>> Seriously, making sure we agree on release plans (code freeze dates
>>> etc.) is a Good Thing - I've seen several projects arguing or
>>> disagreeing on releases, so it's certainly good to be a bit careful and
>>> to make sure everyone is on the same page.
>>>
>>> It doesn't cost much and there are at least  "social" benefits.
>>>
>>> So, +1 for voting on release plans ;-)
>>>

>> A release is the primary output of a PMC on behalf of the ASF. You could
>> say that producing releases is what a project exists for. So releases
>> _can not_ be done without a vote, with PMC member's votes being the
>> binding ones. And probably new releases, once done, should be noted to
>> the board in a quarterly board report.
>>
>> There you go. That's the Bureaucracy of it.
>>

> Or in another way, requesting for a formal approval pings all
> committers. Maybe we oversaw an important issue and the vote will ring
> the bell for the person knowing that something is still missing. Also,
> doing the whole releasing process just to be stopped be an issue is a
> wasted effort after all. For this reason, the release manager (Carsten)
> prefers to do a formal vote before before starting the whole releasing
> process. I think it is a good practice. :-)

Exactly, these are imho the important points for the "pre release" vote.

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Re: Voting on releases?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Carsten Ziegeler:

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

+1

Vadim

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes
+1

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Please cast your votes

+1

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

+1 (but won't spend much time for tests)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On 3/21/06, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes

+1
--
Gianugo Rabellino
Sourcesense, making sense of Open Source: http://www.sourcesense.com

RE: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.

> On 21.03.2006 09:20, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> > - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> > - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

+1

Matthew

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 21.03.2006 09:20, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)

+1

Jörg

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 09:20 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Although we already agreed informaly on the release plan, we should
> do a formal vote.
> As I won't be able to do the release on the 31st of March, we have to
> delay it by one week (unless someone else volunteers to do it).
>
> So the proposed plan to release 2.1.9 is:
> - Start code freeze on the 31st of March
> - Release on the 6th of April (if nothing bad happens)
>
> Please cast your votes

+1

Re: [Vote] Release plan for 2.1.9

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.