Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by tomcatlist user <to...@tkz.net> on 2004/01/06 17:20:59 UTC

Re: Running Struts Cactus tests with Ant

I'm a maven novice, so I thought I'd share my experience building with
maven:

I already submitted a patch for the obvious URL errors in the
project.xml (I hope I did it correctly, as it's only my second patch
submission).

When I invoke maven, it complains about not finding commons-validator
version 1.1.1-dev, so I tried modifying that to use the last version
instead (1.0.2).  It's a good thing I  remembered someone mentioning
commons-validator and the maven build.  Looking through my messages I
found this:

> I've updated project.xml to reference the validator 1.1.1 jar. You need
> to manually download it from http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ and place
> it in your local repository.

If this is going to persist, maybe it might be worth a common in the
project.xml?  If I wasn't paying attention to the list, I wouldn't
necessarily know where to get the updated version.  :)

I got a lot of deprecation errors, but otherwise, both the default
jar:jar and dist goals finished!  So with minor caveats, even a maven
novice can build struts.  That's great considering.

Paul Sundling

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 8:20 AM -0800 1/6/04, tomcatlist user wrote:
>I already submitted a patch for the obvious URL errors in the
>project.xml (I hope I did it correctly, as it's only my second patch
>submission).

You did it exactly right; as may be seen from the Bugzilla
notification, I applied the patch and added some commentary about the
Validator dependency.

Worth noting for anyone following this, I also bumped the Validator
dependency to 1.1.1 (not -dev) since Rob doesn't serve the dev
version any more (and because there was an actual 1.1.1 release).

Here's what I put in project.xml, in case anyone needs to deal with
the dependency and doesn't want to go looking there:

       <!--
         Note that this version of commons-validator is not yet
         served from the iBiblio repository.  You can download
         a distribution from
http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ValidatorAlpha/1.1.1/
         or build it from the CVS repository.  (With Maven, you can use
         the goal jar:install to build a jar and put it in your Maven
repository.)

         If you download the binary, don't forget to rename to include
the version number
         (from "commons-validator.jar" to "commons-validator-1.1.1.jar"

         If you build it from the CVS repository, you will probably end up with
         version 1.1.2-dev.  You can tell Maven to use that version with Struts
         by editing your "build.properties" file in the root of your local
         copy of the Struts CVS distribution.  Include these two lines:
         maven.jar.override=on
         maven.jar.commons-validator=1.1.2-dev
       -->

--