Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/10/07 21:58:31 UTC

Initial Performance Measurements of Geronimo Using DayTrader - Bottom Line ... we're gonna mix it up :)

I have performance tested M5 (or thereabouts) using DayTrader (a performance
sample in Geronimo currently located in the sandbox).

The results of the testing I think are quite compelling as Geronimo just passed
CTS certification at M5.

I used a metric called a "Target" in the testing.  This metric is comprised of
Open Source and Commercial AppServers.  As we make changes to improve
performance when we meet the "Target" we will be competitively positioned.

The WebContainer primitives are a bit misleading as they are really contrasting
Jetty (Geronimo's default) Tomcat and commercial offerings.  We need to fix
Geronimo to improve performance by allowing HTTP logging to be disabled.

As we move up the stack and include higher level functions (like DB read and
writes) we find that Geronimo is well positioned against the target.  Prepared
Statement caching will move us to close to the target I expect.

The EJB primitives may seem poor at the moment.  Although, my gut tells me that
we are copying parms inappropriately and we'll make  significant performance
improvements as we address this issue.

Overall Geronimo is within 70% of our competitive target for Trade Direct
Performance which is awesome.  This metric includes Servlets, JSPs, EJBs and
messaging to name a few of the J2EE artifacts.  At this point in the cycle we
should be able to close the gap and make our competitive target by 1.0.

Attached is a set of slides that explains the testing, benchmark and results.
Please take a few minutes to review and hats off to the team so far.  We are
going to make Geronimo a force to be reckoned with by 1.0 which is coming soon.

- Matt

Re: Initial Performance Measurements of Geronimo Using DayTrader - Bottom Line ... we're gonna mix it up :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Matt,

Thanks for this.  I think that we have nothing to be ashamed of here
- M5 is our first fully certified release, and now that we're "in the
club", we can start really focusing on usability and performance.
Given that we never focused on performance before, I'm sure there is
a ton of low-hanging fruit to go after, and we'll see progress in
leaps and bounds.

geir

(geeze, we even have geronimo slide presentations now!)

geirm@apache.org

Re: Initial Performance Measurements of Geronimo Using DayTrader - Bottom Line ... we're gonna mix it up :)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
This is way cool.

Regards,
Alan