Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org> on 2007/07/06 20:48:44 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round

Sun knew Apache was an open source organization.  Why should the expect
it to vote for things that aren't conducive to open source when it uses
Apache to legitimize the JCP?  That logic baffles me...Taking the high
road is bending over?  Who are we?  Congress?

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org

Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Let's not get bogged down in the procedural details or we'll never reach
> a consensus.  And we WILL be colored as nutso fanatics just like OSI is
> being colored like nutso fanatics because they've been taking a stand
> against companies calling software clearly licensed in contradiction
> with the OSD "open source".

Bingo ;-)  That was really where I was coming from.  Lets do what we
need to do, but lets do it right...and I think we are ;-)

> Retroactivity
> 6. If Apache takes a stance on these things do we apply it to ALL work
> or NEW work only?

This is where my concerns begin to form.  Since we are already a part of
 JSRs that are in effect, I think we need to either wave them, or back
out gracefully.

I really want to know what the projects who are affected think and like
to hear from them.

Jeff

Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.
Let's not get bogged down in the procedural details or we'll never reach
a consensus.  And we WILL be colored as nutso fanatics just like OSI is
being colored like nutso fanatics because they've been taking a stand
against companies calling software clearly licensed in contradiction
with the OSD "open source".  This is just how the game is played, sad
but true.

At core, what is on the table is:

NDAs
1. Apache taking a stance against NDAs in the formation of the "open
standard" specification?
2. Apache taking a stance against NDAs in negotiating the terms of the
TCK -- or really up front licensing terms for TCKs that are compatible
with open source?
3. Apache taking a stance against NDAs in regards to actually performing
the test?

TCKs
4. As a side issue since the TCK is the final arbitrator of the
specification should it also be open? (I think that was Roy, hopefully
my paraphrase doesn't botch it)
5. Apache taking a stance against TCKs that have open source
incompatible license restrictions?

Retroactivity
6. If Apache takes a stance on these things do we apply it to ALL work
or NEW work only?

I view the "when" the negative or abstaining vote is taken to be a
procedural detail that we can work out after we come to a consensus on
the core.  Am I missing anything?

-Andy

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Jul 6, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> "Finally, JSRs that violate an open environment in terms of licenses
> that add downstream restrictions, whether it be the source that
> implements the specification or the consequences of testing that
> imposes
> use restrictions, or other restrictions incompatible with the AL
> 2.0 the
> ASF would regrettably vote against such JSRs."
>
> Maybe I read this as all too over reaching regarding the JSR. Vote
> against the formulation of the JSR, but once we are on it and it
> becomes
> technical, then I think we are in a different situation, and we are
> best
> to just pull out.  *That* is my point.

Perhaps some wording to clarify this is about new JSRs.  The comment
was never intended to be retroactive.  That would be just plain silly :)

Although, I'm confused about the voting process at the JCP.  How can
Sun revise the legal issues without invalidating everyone's vote?
Seems that the legal issues are a fundamental part of the formulation
of a JSR.  Looking at this: http://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=4216
more red would have been a clear direction as all the grey looks a
bit timid.  Perhaps its more political niceness.  If Sun had not
withdrawn the JSR would it have passed with two yeses and all all the
abstains?

Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> Ok...again...I think we have our wires crossed.  I am *not* opposed to
> abstaining the formulation of the JSR based on licensing issues.  I
> think that goes hand in hand with your director analogy and voting on
> something based on business as usual.  I *am* opposed to voting -1 when
> the JSR has bee established and the votes internally are technical in
> nature.  Perhaps I read Matt's write up wrong:
>
> "Finally, JSRs that violate an open environment in terms of licenses
> that add downstream restrictions, whether it be the source that
> implements the specification or the consequences of testing that imposes
> use restrictions, or other restrictions incompatible with the AL 2.0 the
> ASF would regrettably vote against such JSRs."
>
> Maybe I read this as all too over reaching regarding the JSR. Vote
> against the formulation of the JSR, but once we are on it and it becomes
> technical, then I think we are in a different situation, and we are best
> to just pull out.  *That* is my point.

That is all well and good, but the point I keep hearing here is that
participants don't know what the licensing terms will be when the JSR is
initiated. As I understand it, the Spec lead gets to set the rules and
apparently often doesn't publish the licensing for the TCK until late in
the game or perhaps even after the JSR is approved.  If my understanding
is correct, then I don't see how the ASF could ever possibly vote Yes on
such a JSR, even when the vote is supposed to be just on technical merits.

In other words, once the licensing issues are agreed upon I would agree
with your position - all votes should then be just on technical grounds.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS} Alternate Proposed Changes to JCP Participation - Round

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Ummm...no...I clearly am not very good at getting my point across.  I
> said "leave" if they don't work with policies that are acceptable to us.
>  Don't collaborate, don't lend the good name, and don't
> legitimatize...just leave the JCP.

I don't disagree with that, but we have to find a consensus in here
somewhere so I think both for the recent proposals are good starting
points (minus shoring up some of the "may not sign NDA" type language in
the recent one nor do I think it is all that regrettable to vote against
bad things)

-andy

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.