Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/30 21:49:07 UTC

November Cassandra Dev Wrapup

Here's some stuff that happened in the past month in the Cassandra world:

People first - The following developers had their first ever commit in the
project since the last time I sent this email:
Sergey Lapukhov
Jordan Vaughan
Michał Szczygieł (x2)
Malcolm Taylor
Varun Gupta
Hashrajsinh Thakor

And second ever commits:
DOAN DuyHai
Ameya Ketkar
Piotr Jastrzebski

Email list stuff:

- Following some conversation on JIRA, Dikang has more docs on pluggable
storage. Mailing list thread here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/77d289ea111680d1da39dc570faaaa634502ea56b74fa1836f88a466@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E
- Michael has a proposal to change dtests from nosetests to pytest. Mailing
list thread here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/919d973c4a34445f170c832fd2c65e28f269504636eb8597d46dfb62@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E
- With another hat tip to Michael, I sent out a thread about failing dtests
(and about the existence of lots of new JIRAs to fix them). Good news is
that a bunch of people have pitched in and a meaningful number of these
have been fixed, but mailing list thread is here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/58b75f9692fa8e504eb37cfb183d4aad83d0144a775a00d565d56f7e@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E
- Stefan has a thread about decoupling ccm from dtests (links to a PR) -
mailing list thread here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5bbfa3ad2e1fb76dfc7bab520def76784e9291d2d72edbe53ccfde2a@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E

Notable code additions:
- Jay / Piotr / Jason have finished and merged the new leaf-only Btree
iterator for trunk. Benedict opened the ticket in late 2015, so it was nice
to see that finally committed.
- Alex / Sylvain finished up CASSANDRA-10857, which allows dropping
'COMPACT STORAGE' in the 3.0 world. Another complicated ticket from late
2015 that's in and done.

Notable outstanding tickets that could use a review:
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9608 - Java9 support is
patch-available and needs a reviewer (Thanks Robert Stupp!)
- Any of the recent dtest tickets, 6 of them are patch-available,
aggregated here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14059?jql=project%20%3D%20CASSANDRA%20AND%20component%20%3D%20Testing%20AND%20status%20%3D%20%22Patch%20Available%22%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC
- If you have a ticket you need reviewed, make some noise, reply to this
email with a link.

 Stats:
- There are 161 pending changes for 4.0
- There are 16 pending changes for 3.11.2
- There are 10 pending changes for 3.0.16
- There are 120 Patch-available JIRA issues -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+CASSANDRA+AND+status+%3D+%22Patch+Available%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
- There were a bunch with no reviewer and/or idle. I've gone through and
poked a bunch of people I think may be good reviewers (or perhaps they
reported the issue, or silly enough to comment on the quality of the
patch). If you're able to mark yourself a reviewer, it'd be great to get
some of these 120 patches into the repo.
- There are 6 Ready-to-commit JIRA issues (usually just a placeholder) -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+CASSANDRA+AND+status+%3D+%22Ready+to+Commit%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
- There are 29 "Awaiting Feedback" JIRA issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+CASSANDRA+AND+status+%3D+%22Awaiting+Feedback%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
- There are 9 new Github PRs, and 51 open Github PRs total. We can't merge
directly to github (most of you probably know that already), so PRs are not
the preferred contribution funnel, but it may be worth glancing at them and
either creating JIRAs or asking the user to close as appropriate. Please
don't blindly ask users to close PRs, some of them may be important enough
that we want them converted to JIRAs (others are genuinely useless
automated refactorings)
- Github says 16 different authors have pushed non-merge commits in the
past month, not bad given the US holiday
- There are 1626 of you getting this email (subscribers to dev@), and 3102
subscribers to the user list.
- There have been 349 emails to dev@ this quarter, and 1150 to user@
(numbers from mid November)