Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/01 19:26:03 UTC

Roadmap for 2.9.1

Hi all,

as vote on 2.9.0 continues open at general@i.a.o, I think it may be a good
time to start thinking about what should go included in 2.9.1. I'm thinking
in 2.9.1 as short to mid-term release (~3 months), but it doesn't have to
be that way, the idea is to see what's needed/wanted and then make a
roadmap based on that.

I, for one, would like to have JSPWiki on a stick [#1], developed by
Siegfried Goeschl, get into trunk. I recall reading a while ago (while
meaning possibly years) Siegfried asked if it could be a valuable addition.
I've had a look at the github repo and it seems it contains/relies in a few
GPL files, but as they're used for building and wouldn't be distributed,
that would be OK (IANAL, if that's not true, please correct me), or at
least I think it could be re-workable. Siegfried, would you mind if WOAS
gets into trunk?

I would also like to spend some time making more unit tests, as coverage is
somewhat near 50%.

@everyone: other thoughts/wishes/preferences/etc.? what do you think is
needed/wanted?

br,
juan pablo

[#1]: https://github.com/sgoeschl/jspwiki-on-a-stick

Re: Roadmap for 2.9.1

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hi there,

good points, I'd like to add some more:

* cleaning up the build system: tidy cleanup, clear separation of generated files from the codebase
* improving documentation for absolute beginners: both users and devs/contributors
* improving architectural documentation (use cases etc.)
* improving configurability of the search engine (attachments)
* fix wiki permissions (JSPWIKI-626)
* warning for / preventing session timeout (JSPWIKI-579)

BTW, Harry, one of your points is a very old issue: JSPWIKI-90 :-)

Two general thoughts that don't fit into the 2.9.1 discussion, but have to do with goals and roadmaps:
* I often think of nice features but always come to the conclusion that they're hard to implement because of lacking metadata -> JCR backend. So, after graduation, we really should think of these hidden treasures in the 3.0 branch.
* Another point is the technology stack. There are new technologies around HTML5 and the cloud available. One, well, dream is being able to use JSPWiki offline within the browser and resync when going online again.

Regards
 Florian

Re: Roadmap for 2.9.1

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Juan Pablo,

+1 on more unit tests, we can use a lot of improvements/expansions on the
selenium webtests for example.

Features I like to see is a simple and stable WYSIWYG editor and an email
mechanism for changed pages.

kind regards,
Harry