Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2005/08/03 16:41:37 UTC

Re: [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13" by JoeGermuska

At 10:05 AM -0400 8/3/05, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>Well, at least I was talking about Struts, huh Joe :)

Hey, I wasn't trying to make a crack or anything -- it was a good
question and it also reminded me that I feel like the bootstrapping
of the chains deserves some more design consideration; I tried to lay
some of that out in
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ComposableRequestProcessor  Actually, I
guess the real "answering" part ended up on that page!

Joe

>--
>Frank W. Zammetti
>Founder and Chief Software Architect
>Omnytex Technologies
>http://www.omnytex.com
>
>On Wed, August 3, 2005 8:55 am, Apache Wiki said:
>>  Dear Wiki user,
>>
>>  You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Struts Wiki" for
>>  change notification.
>>
>>  The following page has been changed by JoeGermuska:
>  > http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13
>>
>>  The comment on the change is:
>>  Adapted Frank's comment in an attempt to answer it.

>>||http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/tags-tiles||http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles||
>>
>>    ----
>>  + Some users who were not using the Struts taglibs or tiles have reported
>>  success with simply "dropping-in" the Struts 1.3 "core" JAR and Commons
>>  Chain 1.0.  This is unlikely to work if you have not been keeping up with
>>  deprecation warnings, as many deprecated methods and classes are being
>>  completely removed with the Struts 1.3.0 release.  ('''note:''' we should
>>  keep an explicit list, either here or in the change log)
>>
>>  - Remember to add commons-chain.jar to your WEB-INF/lib directory (or to
>>  your app-accessible classpath otherwise)!  I was able to drop 1.3 into a
>>  simple Struts app that wasn't using any taglibs, EL or Tiles, and the only
>>  problem I had was in forgetting to add commons-chain.jar.  Open question:
>>  is this still required if you DON'T use the ComposableRequestProcessor?
>>  + Note that even if you explicitly specify in the struts-config.xml that
>>  you want to use the original RequestProcessor rather than the
>>  ComposableRequestProcessor, you still must add Commons Chain to your
>>  webapp's classpath, as the chain initialization code currently lives in
>>  the ActionServlet.  This architecture is open to discussion, but as it is
>>  currently, you need Commons Chain in your webapp even if you don't use the
>>  ComposableRequestProcessor.
>>  +
>>
>>    ----

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com

Re: [Struts Wiki] Update of "StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13" by JoeGermuska

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
On Wed, August 3, 2005 10:41 am, Joe Germuska said:
> At 10:05 AM -0400 8/3/05, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>>Well, at least I was talking about Struts, huh Joe :)
>
> Hey, I wasn't trying to make a crack or anything --

No Joe, I know, I was just being a wise-guy.  No offense was taken in any
way, shape or form - and if I *was* offended, it'd be *my* problem
because, heck, it's a Wiki, that's how it works! :)

> it was a good
> question and it also reminded me that I feel like the bootstrapping
> of the chains deserves some more design consideration; I tried to lay
> some of that out in
> http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ComposableRequestProcessor  Actually, I
> guess the real "answering" part ended up on that page!

I read the ComposableRequestProcessor entry, it's a good point.

> Joe

Frank