Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com> on 2020/09/11 20:41:53 UTC

Proper location for debugging tools

Hi all,

I have a Python script I’ve used quite a bit for diagnosing/debugging issues in geode-native that can decode a whole lot of protocol information from a debug-level log file.  I think it comes in pretty handy, and would like to share.  Just a quick question, though – where’s the right place to put it?  It’s currently in a private repo, so I could create a new OSS repo for it, or I could do something like create a /tools folder in the native tree and submit it there in a PR.  There’s also a sort-of shared tools area in the Geode repo proper, which isn’t as odd a choice as it first seems, because the script could be enhanced pretty readily to read Java client logs and decode the same info.  Anyone have any strongly-held opinions?

Thanks,

Blake

Re: Proper location for debugging tools

Posted by Blake Bender <bb...@vmware.com>.
Right - I'm aware of that directory in Geode, just not sure this belongs there... yet(?).  I'll submit a PR for the native repo, and if I or someone else eventually adapts it for the Java client (low probability IMO), it can be moved easily.

Thanks,

Blake

On 9/11/20, 2:11 PM, "Dan Smith" <da...@vmware.com> wrote:

    The main geode repo has a dev-tools directory, that’s a good spot for scripts. If it’s specific to native client I’d put it in geode-native but if not the geode repo seems fine.

    -Dan

Posted by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>.