Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/01 01:10:41 UTC

Re: Is iOS 7 required for submission of an app to the Apple App Store?

Perf gains for 64 bit:
http://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-09-27-arm64-and-you.html

TLDR;
The 64-bit isa pointer for an Objective-C object only uses 31 bits, the
rest of the 33 bits are used for an inline reference count. Previously,
reference counting was in an external table. The old way was slower, thus
the new way results in performance gains for object alloc/dealloc.

Quoting:
"My casual benchmarking indicates that basic object creation and
destruction takes about 380ns on a 5S running in 32-bit mode, while it's
only about 200ns when running in 64-bit mode. If any instance of the class
has ever had a weak reference and an associated object set, the 32-bit time
rises to about 480ns, while the 64-bit time remains around 200ns for any
instances that were not themselves the target.

In short, the improvements to Apple's runtime make it so that *object
allocation in 64-bit mode costs only 40-50% of what it does in 32-bit mode*.
If your app creates and destroys a lot of objects, that's a big deal."