Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/07/11 22:44:38 UTC

Re: Defaults and testing

Can we randomly choose some subset of the tests (25% of total, for example)
to run for each cell in the test matrix?

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there is an effort to enable Vectorization (HIVE-5538) by default. I
> think we probably still want to test with it off as well. Thus our test
> matrix is exploding:
>
> MR w/o Vectorization
> MR w Vectorization
> Tez w/o Vectorization (?)
> Tez w Vectorization
>
> My concern is that whatever is enabled by default will be tested and the
> other code paths will rot. I am open to suggestions as to how to solve this
> problem.
>
> Brock

Eugene

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Defaults and testing

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
I'd suggest we do a rolling pre-commit test runs among the testing
variables: hadoop1, hadoop2, vectorization on/off, tez, spark, etc. This
way, we still have coverage on all areas with a slight bigger latency of
issue discovery. Nevertheless, I think it's better to a fixed selection of
the variables.

--Xuefu