Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/04/06 02:30:54 UTC

Core BSF Action [was Re: Refactoring Struts Initialization ...]

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:14:45 -0700, Don Brown wrote:
> True, however that is only if your actions are Java classes.  I've
> developed Struts apps using scripting languages, particularly
> BeanShell, to get a quick prototype of the application up and
> running.  Later, I can easily change those scripts to Java classes
> if there is need.

I'd be in favor of moving Struts BSF into the core, as one of our standard Actions.

http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-bsf/index.html

This will create another compile-time dependency for Struts, and runtime if you use it, but I think the utility is well worth the cost.

Given DynaActionForms and the Validator, we can create working "straw" applications without any Java code. The addition of Don's BSF Action makes MVC applications available to JSP writers with a scripting skill set. What could be simpler than that? :)

-Ted.

Re: Core BSF Action [was Re: Refactoring Struts Initialization ...]

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
It is too bad we don't have a Cocoon "blocks" type ability.  Their block
system allows them to easily build special versions of Cocoon with only
the capabilities desired.  Their system encourages new ideas and
capabilities with minimal impact to those that don't need the additional
functionality.

Don