Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Patel, Sameer" <sp...@MicroStrategy.com> on 2000/11/22 01:38:20 UTC

Tomcat & windows 2000

Hi,

I installed Tomcat 3.1 and Java 2 (jdk1.3) on a Windows 2000 machine
(Advanced Server).  I set JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME appropriately but when I
ran "tomcat run" on the command line I got this error:

Using classpath:
D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\classes;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\webserver.jar;
D:\Tomcat\jakarta
-tomcat\lib\jasper.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakart
a-tomcat\lib\servlet.jar;C:\jdk1.3
\lib\tools.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\classes;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib
\webserver.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-t
omcat\lib\jasper.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-tomcat\lib\xml.jar;D:\Tomcat\jakarta-
tomcat\lib\servlet.jar;C:\jdk1.3\l
ib\tools.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't fi
nd bundle for base name org.apache.tomcat.startup.LocalStrings, locale en_US
        at
java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:7
07)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:679)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:546)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.StringManager.<init>(StringManager.java:115)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.StringManager.getManager(StringManager.java:260)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.<clinit>(Tomcat.java:26)

So, then I tried the new Tomcat 4.0 (milestone 4).  I set the appropriate
environment variables and then the server seemed to come up.

So, essentially, the new Tomcat 4.0 came up on Windows 2000 (Advanced
Server) but the Tomcat 3.1 did not.  Unfortunately, I believe the Tomcat 4.0
is quite different from Tomcat 3.1 and I've new to everything.  I can't seem
to find documentation for how to run servlets with Tomcat 4.0.

What's my question?  Well, why doesn't Tomcat 3.1 work on Windows 2000?  If
it't not meant to work, then where can I get documentation for how to use
Tomcat 4.0 on Windows 2000?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam Patel
MicroStrategy Pacific Technology Center
The Power of Intelligent E-Business

<http://www.microstrategy.com/>
(760) 710-4653

Re: Tomcat & windows 2000

Posted by Jim Rudnicki <jd...@pacbell.net>.
> I installed Tomcat 3.1 and Java 2 (jdk1.3) on a Windows 2000 machine
> (Advanced Server).  I set JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME appropriately but when
> ran "tomcat run" on the command line I got this error:
... snip more of standard rigamarole ...

Try this Tomcat loader.  Works 99.44% of the time.  Tested on 2000,  jdk1.3
and 3.1 & 3.2bx
Take a look:
http://www.geocities.com/jdrudnicki/

Jim

Re: Tomcat & windows 2000

Posted by chris edwards <ch...@clara.co.uk>.
Hey sam,

erm it does work with 2k,

I have it running on two laptops with 2k prof, jdk 1.3, and tomcat 3.1 also
I have it running on my server box which is 2k Adv Svr, but at the mo jdk
1.2.2 (planning on an upgrade this weekend).

I find the easiest option is to not set the tomcat_home env variable since
this is set by the startup.bat file each time it's needed, that way you
know it's pointing exactly where apache want it to look.

Hope I'm of help.

Chris Edwards

Chris Edwards
e. chris.edwards@clara.co.uk