Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by heikki <tr...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/08 13:43:13 UTC

Reloading i18n on demand

hello,

I've read that Wicket in Development Mode reloads changes to property files
on the fly, but not in Production Mode, when they are "heavily cached".

Is there a way to reload property files such as those used for i18n in
Production Mode, either on the fly or on demand ?

I would suppose it could be possible that they're re-loaded on demand, after
which the heavy caching could take place again. But I haven't found any
information on this.

Anyone have a suggestion ?

thanks in advance
Heikki Doeleman

Re: Reloading i18n on demand

Posted by robmcguinness <ro...@gmail.com>.
unless things have changed I used to use the JMX panel to destroy the Wicket
caches during production.  worked like a charm when I need to replace the
markup on the fly without redeploying.

Re: Reloading i18n on demand

Posted by Gabriel Landon <gl...@piti.pf>.
Maybe it's a bit "too much" but I use the following to reload the properties
files :

Application.get().getResourceSettings().getLocalizer().clearCache();

Re: Reloading i18n on demand

Posted by heikki <tr...@gmail.com>.
hi Martin,

thanks for the pointer.

Having taking a quick look at the source, it looks like one very easy way to
preserve reloading on the fly is to add a line like this in my Application's
init() method:

        getResourceSettings().setResourcePollFrequency(Duration.minutes(2));

this'll serve my purpose for the moment just fine -- as soon as I have time
I'll investigate more how to achieve actual on demand reloading (without
polling).

thanks and kind regards
Heikki Doeleman

Re: Reloading i18n on demand

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
See how org.apache.wicket.util.watch.ModificationWatcher resets the caches.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM, heikki <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I've read that Wicket in Development Mode reloads changes to property files
> on the fly, but not in Production Mode, when they are "heavily cached".
>
> Is there a way to reload property files such as those used for i18n in
> Production Mode, either on the fly or on demand ?
>
> I would suppose it could be possible that they're re-loaded on demand, after
> which the heavy caching could take place again. But I haven't found any
> information on this.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion ?
>
> thanks in advance
> Heikki Doeleman