Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Frank <sm...@u5.com> on 2006/06/15 16:32:05 UTC

Connection logging without DAV

2 short and simple questions:

If SVN is being used command-line only, there is no way to have the subversion
server logging connections and/or commands recieved.

Correct?

I can of course log with inetd or by grepping netstat, but it appears that
this reports connections as "ESTABLISHED" so I will just know if somebody
made a request at the svn-port.

Correct?

Thanks and best regards,

Soren "Frank"

Re: Connection logging without DAV

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 15, 2006, at 18:32, Frank wrote:

> If SVN is being used command-line only, there is no way to have the
> subversion
> server logging connections and/or commands recieved.
>
> Correct?

There are several different protocols over which a Subversion
repository can be accessed: http://, https://, svn://, svn+ssh:// and
file:///. All of these can be accessed by a Subversion command-line
client, or by a Subversion-based GUI client. The client does not care
about the protocol.

The first two protocols are served by Apache, which offers its normal
access log, or a Subversion-specific log which might be more useful
depending on what you want to use it for.

The next two protocols are served by svnserve, which offers no log
that I'm aware of.

The last protocol uses no server process at all—the client accesses
the repository files on the hard drive directly—so there is no log
for that either.