Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/04/06 04:06:34 UTC

Re: cvs commit: avalon-components/facilities/finder/test index.ent maven.xml project.xml

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 02:36, mcconnell@apache.org wrote:
>   <!ENTITY % merlin-entities SYSTEM
> "file:../../../../avalon/merlin/version.ent"> %merlin-entities; <!ENTITY %
> facility-entities SYSTEM "file:../../version.ent"> %facility-entities;

IMHO, this doesn't cut it.

It is 'against convention' that CVS modules are not compilable 'stand-alone'.

Can't the "version.ent" be a Maven artifact by itself that each part depends
on??

Niclas

Re: cvs commit: avalon-components/facilities/finder/test index.ent maven.xml project.xml

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 10:17, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Its worth thinking about.
>>Have you tried anything along these lines?
>

> There are other options;
>
> 1. Replicate the file across the various CVS repos.
> 2. Wait until SVN is in place and everything is under one umbrella, and things
> can be cross referenced more easily.
> 3. Do a CVS checkout of the file from a known location, as part of the build
> process.

My preference for the moment is to go with (1).

Steve.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2004 02:36, mcconnell@apache.org wrote:
>
>>  <!ENTITY % merlin-entities SYSTEM
>>"file:../../../../avalon/merlin/version.ent"> %merlin-entities; <!ENTITY %
>>facility-entities SYSTEM "file:../../version.ent"> %facility-entities;
>

> IMHO, this doesn't cut it.
>
> It is 'against convention' that CVS modules are not compilable 'stand-alone'.

Thinking the same thing. But at the same time I wanted to get some hooks
in so we could see what its like.

> Can't the "version.ent" be a Maven artifact by itself that each part depends
> on??

Its worth thinking about.
Have you tried anything along these lines?

Stephen.