Posted to users@maven.apache.org by javadaisy <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/12 18:53:30 UTC

help - how to reduce the build time using mvn and cargo

Hi,

I am using maven 2.2.1 with cargo plugin to deploy into the local and remote
host.  It takes around 7 to 8 minutes to build and deploy the war.  I would
like to reduce the time to 3 minutes or less than 3 minutes.  can anybody
please tell me how to do that?.

I tried adding set MAVEN_OPTS=-DXms_1024M -DXmx=1024M in mvn.bat.  It didn't
work

Thanks in advance.

Re: help - how to reduce the build time using mvn and cargo

Posted by Alex Lopez <al...@flordeutopia.pt>.
You could deploy in place or unpacked or something similar, there is
more than one way to deploy or test your webapp without it having to be
packed into the WAR, which is what takes most of the build time for us too.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by javadaisy <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for pointing me to the right direction.  For clean and compile it
takes around 1Min and it takes around 3 1/2 mins for packaging the war file.

RE: help - how to reduce the build time using mvn and cargo

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.
I giggled at the first few replies to this thread, but now I'm curious - when you're finished building, and maven presents the summary output, which modules are taking the longest time and what exactly are they doing?

> Hi,
>
> I am using maven 2.2.1 with cargo plugin to deploy into the local and
> remote
> host.  It takes around 7 to 8 minutes to build and deploy the war.  I would
> like to reduce the time to 3 minutes or less than 3 minutes.  can anybody
> please tell me how to do that?.
>
> I tried adding set MAVEN_OPTS=-DXms_1024M -DXmx=1024M in mvn.bat.  It
> didn't
> work
>
> Thanks in advance.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and the information transmitted within including any attachments is only for the recipient(s) to which it is intended and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of; or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please send the e-mail back by replying to the sender and permanently delete the entire message and its attachments from all computers and network systems involved in its receipt.

Re: help - how to reduce the build time using mvn and cargo

Posted by John Singleton <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well, the first step would be determining exactly where your build is
spending its time - compiling, building the war, deploying the war (locally
and/or remotely)?  If your current build output doesn't give enough
information, try "mvn -X" for more verbose output.  Then you will have a
better idea where to look for improvement.  I doubt that the maven memory
footprint is the source of your speed issues.

Posted by Marc Rohlfs <po...@googlemail.com>.
Java memory settings are not defined like system properties - You
shouldn't use '-D'. Try this:
    set MAVEN_OPTS="-Xms=1024M -Xmx=1024M"

This might not solve Your problem, but it should fix the memory
reservation/allocation.

BTW: I wouldn't modify the mvn.bat. Just set the MAVEN_OPTS as an
environment var.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
-DGetPaidForSomeoneElseDoingMyJobForMe=true

Only in Amerika!
Martin

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.
100 points to Ron.

Ron touched on something here - not sure if you can look at any of the transitive dependencies you may be pulling in and see if you can exclude some of those as well.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by John Singleton <jh...@gmail.com>.
In addition to trimming the war (definitely a good idea)...

In your first post, you mentioned mvn.bat - so I will assume you are in a
Windows environment.  Where is your ${user.home} located: local or remote?
I have seen at least one corporate environment where (for Sysadmin
convenience) home directories were kept on a central server.  This was not a
big deal to Word and PowerPoint users, who only download one file at a time,
but a huge hit to maven as people were constantly hitting .m2/repository
*ACROSS-THE-WIRE*.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@casenetinc.com>.
Or, revisit what is going in there...

Are there images and files that the end user no longer can access?  How much cruft is in there exactly and how much can you yank out?

Are there dependencies that can be removed?

Are you saying the actual zipping process takes 7 min or the entire warfile build takes 7 min?  Could you break that apart and extract portions to a different build and just rely on dependencies?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by javadaisy <ja...@gmail.com>.