Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Lawlor, Frank" <Fr...@AthensGroup.com> on 2002/03/21 18:28:57 UTC

Commons logging exceptions with Tomcat -security

Sorry to bother you guys in the developers list,
but I got no response on this in the struts-users list:

I've been pulling down some of the nighly struts builds which require
use of the common-*.jars.  I'm running on tomcat 4.0.2.

I just put the commons jars in the WEB-INF\lib directory of
my web app and this seems to work fine until I run tomcat with
security (startup -security).
Then I get null pointers trying to access the log
(see details below).

I tried putting the commons jars in tomcat's common\lib,
but I get the same results.  Where should they go?
Where does the struts.jar go then?  I tried a lot of
locations and nothing seems to work when I add
- security to the tomcat invocation.

Thanks,

-------------------
On the console:
    logClassName=null

On the application page after getting the login screen:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:464)
	at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.ja
va:273)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:338)

Frank Lawlor
Athens Group, Inc.
(512) 345-0600 x151
Athens Group, an employee-owned consulting firm integrating technology
strategy and software solutions.