Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu> on 2008/12/01 17:21:11 UTC

Re: comments with no 'name' field give stacktraces in the admin screens

2008-11-28_07:32:00-0500 Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>:

> I filed a bug about this earlier in the week
>
> https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1762
>
> Seems like another JPA/Oracle issue.
>
> In a nutshell; if you submit a comment with the 'name' field left blank,
> the 'name' field in the database ends up NULL.
>
> The roller 'comment' admin screen chokes on this later
> (Freemarker gives 3 enormous stacktraces instead of checkboxes).
>
> I'm not sure if it's a FreeMarker or JPA bug; does anyone else see it?
>
> I suspect this is another 'fine on mysql' thing, so be good if some postgresql
> people could verify it.

Hi Dick,

I'm using Roller 4.0.1 on PostgreSQL 8.3.  I just tried submitting a
comment with no name, and had no problem on the admin screen.  I'll try
a few more variations to see if I can recreate this.

Best.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager

Re: comments with no 'name' field give stacktraces in the admin screens

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:

> Oracle has these pesky semantics of conflating NULL and the empty string.
>  Added a comment on the bug.

Thanks Anil; I'm starting to see why 'just use MySQL' is such a common approach
everywhere now :)

Re: comments with no 'name' field give stacktraces in the admin screens

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:
>> Oracle has these pesky semantics of conflating NULL and the empty string.
>>  Added a comment on the bug.
>
> By the way, I just setup a Roller/Oracle test environment (PostgreSQL
> too). I'd like to get 4.0.1 out the door with reason able Oracle and
> PostgreSQL support (and some number > 0 of bug fixes).
>
> Roller unit tests pass 100% on Oracle, which is probably more of a
> comment about our (poor) test coverage than a comment about our
> stability on Oracle.

Yeah, saw your tweet Dave, thanks :)

I don't expect a flawless release, I'm more concerned with you being
able to replicate
a bug if I report it (or not, as the case may be). Oracle and
PostgreSQL test stacks
will really help there, I really appreciate it.

Out of interest, can you replicate this bug on your test kit (1762) with 4.0.1?

Re: comments with no 'name' field give stacktraces in the admin screens

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:
> Oracle has these pesky semantics of conflating NULL and the empty string.
>  Added a comment on the bug.

By the way, I just setup a Roller/Oracle test environment (PostgreSQL
too). I'd like to get 4.0.1 out the door with reason able Oracle and
PostgreSQL support (and some number > 0 of bug fixes).

Roller unit tests pass 100% on Oracle, which is probably more of a
comment about our (poor) test coverage than a comment about our
stability on Oracle.

- Dave

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Oracle has these pesky semantics of conflating NULL and the empty
string.  Added a comment on the bug.

--a.

Posted by Ron Peterson <rp...@mtholyoke.edu>.